Lakeside Country Club is a private country club located in Houston, Texas. The club was founded in 1951 and has since become known for its world-class golf course, tennis facilities, and swimming pools. In addition to its athletic amenities, Lakeside also offers fine dining and event spaces for weddings, corporate meetings, and other special occasions. The club’s golf course was designed by the renowned architect Ralph Plummer and has hosted several major tournaments over the years, including the Houston Open. Lakeside is a members-only club, and membership is by invitation only.
Lakeside Country Club History and Founding
Lakeside Country Club was founded in 1951 by a group of Houston businessmen who were looking to create a private club that offered excellent golfing and social opportunities. The original founders included William H. Cullen, Gus Sessions Wortham, J. R. Parten, William P. Hobby, Sr., and George R. Brown, all of whom were prominent figures in Houston’s business and political circles.
The club’s first location was on the shores of Buffalo Bayou in west Houston, where it operated for several years. However, in the early 1960s, the club purchased a large tract of land in the growing suburb of West Houston and moved to its current location.
The new location allowed for the creation of a championship golf course, which was designed by the renowned golf course architect Ralph Plummer. Plummer’s design incorporated the natural terrain and water features of the site, resulting in a challenging yet beautiful course that has hosted several major tournaments over the years.
Since its founding, Lakeside has remained one of Houston’s premier private clubs, offering its members access to world-class golfing, tennis, swimming, and dining facilities. The club has also been involved in various philanthropic and charitable initiatives, including supporting local organizations and hosting fundraising events.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Lakeside Country Club
Lakeside Country Club has hosted several famous golf tournaments over the years, including the Houston Open, which is a professional golf tournament on the PGA Tour.
The Houston Open was first held at Lakeside in 1946 and continued to be held there until 1963, after which it was held at various courses around Houston. The tournament returned to Lakeside in 1975 and was held there until 1982.
During its time at Lakeside, the Houston Open saw several legendary golfers compete on its course, including Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player. In fact, Jack Nicklaus won his first PGA Tour event at the 1963 Houston Open held at Lakeside Country Club.
In addition to the Houston Open, Lakeside has also hosted several other professional and amateur tournaments, including the Texas State Open, the Texas Women’s Open, and the Trans-Mississippi Amateur Championship.
Lakeside Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private country club, Lakeside Country Club’s membership costs and dues are not publicly disclosed and are only available to those who are invited to join. However, based on information from similar private clubs in the Houston area, it is estimated that Lakeside’s initiation fee could be in the range of $50,000 to $100,000, with rumored annual dues ranging from $10,000 to $20,000.
It’s important to note that these estimates are speculative and may not accurately reflect Lakeside’s actual membership costs and dues. Additionally, membership fees and dues can vary widely depending on factors such as the type of membership, the age of the member, and the facilities and services included in the membership.
Lakeside Country Club Amenities
Lakeside Country Club offers a wide range of amenities to its members, including:
- Golf Course – A championship 18-hole golf course designed by Ralph Plummer. The course has hosted several major tournaments over the years and offers a challenging yet enjoyable experience for golfers of all levels.
- Practice Facilities – Lakeside offers a full range of practice facilities, including a driving range, putting green, and short game area.
- Tennis – The country club features 16 tennis courts, including 10 hard courts and 6 clay courts, as well as a pro shop and a team of professional tennis coaches.
- Swimming Pools – Lakeside has two swimming pools, including a junior Olympic-sized pool and a family pool, both of which are staffed by certified lifeguards.
- Dining – The club offers several dining options, including a formal dining room, a casual grille, and a poolside snack bar. The menus feature a variety of dishes prepared by the club’s talented chefs.
- Fitness Center – Lakeside has a fully equipped fitness center, with state-of-the-art cardio and weight-training equipment, as well as personal trainers and fitness classes.
- Event Spaces – The club offers several event spaces, including ballrooms, meeting rooms, and outdoor venues, that can accommodate weddings, corporate events, and other special occasions.
Overall, Lakeside Country Club provides its members with a variety of amenities and services that cater to their recreational, social, and dining needs.
Lakeside Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Lakeside Country Club offers a variety of event spaces and dining options for its members, including:
- Event Spaces – Lakeside has several event spaces that can accommodate a range of events, from small business meetings to large weddings and galas. The club’s ballroom can accommodate up to 400 guests and features elegant decor, state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment, and a dedicated event staff to help plan and execute the perfect event.
- Dining – The club offers several dining options, including a formal dining room, a casual grille, and a poolside snack bar. The menus feature a variety of dishes prepared by the club’s talented chefs, with a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients and locally sourced produce. Members can also enjoy themed dinners, wine tastings, and other special dining events throughout the year.
- Catering – Lakeside’s catering team can create custom menus and handle all aspects of event catering, from menu planning to setup and service. Whether it’s a small business lunch or a large wedding reception, the catering team can create a memorable dining experience for guests.
- Special Events – Lakeside hosts a variety of special events throughout the year, including holiday parties, member socials, and charity fundraisers. These events are a great way for members to socialize and connect with one another while enjoying the club’s amenities and services.
Overall, Lakeside Country Club provides its members with a range of event spaces and dining options to meet their needs and preferences, whether it’s an intimate dinner or a large-scale celebration. The club’s experienced staff is dedicated to ensuring that every event is a success and that members have a memorable experience.
Lakeside Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Lakeside Country Club has a dress code policy that applies to all members and their guests. The dress code policy is designed to maintain the club’s standards of decorum and ensure that all members and guests feel comfortable and appropriately dressed while on the club’s premises. The dress code policy includes the following guidelines:
- Golf Course – Men are required to wear collared shirts and Bermuda-length shorts or slacks. Women are required to wear appropriate golf attire, including collared shirts or sleeveless tops with a collar. Denim, cut-offs, athletic wear, and t-shirts are not allowed on the golf course.
- Tennis – Tennis players are required to wear appropriate tennis attire, including collared shirts or athletic tops, tennis skirts or shorts, and proper tennis shoes. Denim, cut-offs, and athletic wear are not allowed on the tennis courts.
- Dining – The club’s dining areas have a casual dress code, with collared shirts and appropriate attire required for both men and women. Swimwear, flip flops, and athletic wear are not allowed in the dining areas.
- Guest Policy – Members are allowed to bring guests to the club, but they are responsible for ensuring that their guests comply with the dress code policy and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. Members must register their guests with the club’s front desk and accompany them while on the club’s premises.
Overall, Lakeside Country Club’s dress code policy is designed to maintain a level of decorum and ensure that all members and guests feel comfortable and appropriately dressed while enjoying the club’s amenities and services. Members are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the dress code policy and ensure that their guests comply with the policy as well.