Chevy Chase Country Club is a private country club located in Chevy Chase, Maryland. The club was founded in 1892 and has a rich history of providing its members with excellent golf, tennis, swimming, and dining experiences. Chevy Chase Country Club is known for its excellent dining options, with multiple restaurants and bars on site. The clubhouse features a formal dining room, a casual grill room, and a bar, as well as several private dining rooms for events and meetings.
Chevy Chase Country Club History and Founding
Chevy Chase Country Club was founded in 1892 by a group of prominent Washington, D.C. businessmen who were seeking a place to play golf and socialize outside of the city. The original course was located in the Chevy Chase neighborhood of D.C. and was a nine-hole layout designed by golf course architect Tom Bendelow.
In 1910, the club purchased land in Chevy Chase, Maryland and hired famed golf course architect Donald Ross to design a new 18-hole golf course. Ross’s course, which is still in use today, was considered one of his finest designs and quickly gained a reputation as one of the best golf courses in the region.
Over the years, Chevy Chase Country Club has hosted numerous high-profile golf events, including the US Women’s Open in 1963 and the US Senior Open in 1995. The club has also been the site of several important social and political events, including a dinner in honor of President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941.
Today, Chevy Chase Country Club remains one of the premier private country clubs in the region, with a strong commitment to providing its members with outstanding golf, tennis, swimming, and dining experiences. The club’s rich history and beautiful facilities make it a popular destination for families and golf enthusiasts alike.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Chevy Chase Country Club
Chevy Chase Country Club in Chevy Chase, Maryland has hosted several notable golf tournaments over the years.
One of the most famous events held at the club was the 1963 U.S. Women’s Open, which was won by Mickey Wright. This was the fourth edition of the U.S. Women’s Open and the first time it was held at Chevy Chase Country Club. Wright dominated the field, winning by a record-breaking nine strokes.
Another notable tournament held at the club was the 1995 U.S. Senior Open, won by Tom Weiskopf. This was the first and only time that the U.S. Senior Open has been held at Chevy Chase Country Club. Weiskopf shot a final round of 63 to win by two strokes over second-place finisher, Hale Irwin.
In addition to these major championships, Chevy Chase Country Club has also hosted numerous other professional and amateur golf tournaments over the years. The club’s classic, tree-lined layout and rich history make it a popular venue for golf events of all kinds.
Chevy Chase Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private country club, Chevy Chase Country Club does not disclose its membership costs and dues publicly. Membership fees and dues are typically determined by the club’s board of directors and may vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of membership and level of access to the club’s facilities. However, based on industry standards and rumors, membership costs and dues at Chevy Chase Country Club are considered to be high and exclusive.
The initiation fee for membership at Chevy Chase Country Club is estimated can range from $50,000 to $100,000 or more, depending on the type of membership. In addition to the initiation fee, members are typically required to pay annual dues, which are rumored to range from $10,000 to $20,000 or more.
Chevy Chase Country Club Amenities
Chevy Chase Country Club in Chevy Chase, Maryland offers a variety of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf Course: The 18-hole golf course at Chevy Chase Country Club was designed by Donald Ross and is considered one of the finest courses in the region. The course features a classic, tree-lined layout with challenging greens and well-placed bunkers.
- Tennis: The country club offers 10 outdoor tennis courts, including 4 clay courts. Tennis programs and lessons are available for players of all ages and skill levels.
- Swimming Pool: The club’s heated outdoor swimming pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day and offers a range of activities, including swim lessons and water aerobics.
- Fitness Center: The club’s fitness center is equipped with cardio and weight training equipment and offers group fitness classes, personal training, and other wellness programs.
- Spa: The club’s full-service spa offers a range of services, including massages, facials, and body treatments.
- Dining: Chevy Chase Country Club is known for its excellent dining options, with multiple restaurants and bars on site. The clubhouse features a formal dining room, a casual grill room, and a bar, as well as several private dining rooms for events and meetings.
- Events and Meetings: The club has several event spaces available for private functions, including weddings, corporate meetings, and other special events.
Overall, Chevy Chase Country Club offers a wide range of amenities for its members, making it a popular destination for families and individuals who are looking for a full-service private club experience.
Chevy Chase Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Chevy Chase Country Club in Chevy Chase, Maryland offers a range of event spaces and dining options for members and their guests.
Event Spaces: The club has several event spaces available for private functions, including weddings, corporate meetings, and other special events. The ballroom, terrace room, and outdoor terrace are popular options for larger events, while the club’s private dining rooms are ideal for smaller gatherings.
Dining Options: The clubhouse features a formal dining room, a casual grill room, and a bar, as well as several private dining rooms for events and meetings. The club’s executive chef and culinary team offer a range of menus, including seasonal specials and themed events.
Some of the popular dining options at the club include:
- Sunday Brunch: The club offers a popular Sunday brunch, with a variety of breakfast and lunch options, including omelets, waffles, salads, and carving stations.
- Clubhouse Dining: The formal dining room offers an elegant setting for dinner, with a range of appetizers, entrees, and desserts to choose from.
- Grill Room: The club’s casual grill room features a variety of sandwiches, salads, and grilled items, as well as a full bar.
Overall, Chevy Chase Country Club offers a range of dining options for members and their guests, whether they are looking for a formal dining experience or a casual meal with friends and family. The club’s culinary team is known for its creative menus and high-quality ingredients, making it a popular destination for foodies and gourmands in the area.
Chevy Chase Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Chevy Chase Country Club in Chevy Chase, Maryland has a dress code and guest policy that all members and visitors are expected to follow.
Dress Code: The dress code at the club is typically conservative, and proper attire is required in all areas of the club. Men are expected to wear collared shirts and slacks or Bermuda shorts, while women are expected to wear appropriate golf or tennis attire. Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, and athletic wear are not permitted on the golf course or in the clubhouse. The specific dress code requirements may vary depending on the time of day and the area of the club.
Guest Policy: Guests are welcome at Chevy Chase Country Club, but they must be accompanied by a member and must abide by the club’s dress code and rules of behavior. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests follow the club’s policies, and may be held responsible for any damages caused by their guests. The number of guests that a member may bring to the club may be limited, and certain areas of the club may be reserved for members only.
Overall, Chevy Chase Country Club expects its members and their guests to uphold a high standard of behavior and dress, in keeping with the club’s tradition of excellence and professionalism. By following the club’s policies and guidelines, members and guests can enjoy all that the club has to offer, while maintaining a respectful and welcoming environment for everyone.