Disclaimer: CountryClubMag.com is an independent resource and is not associated with any of the clubs on this website. Club initiation and membership cost information are estimates only and should not be relied upon for making club membership decisions.
St. Clair Country Club, nestled in the picturesque landscapes of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a premier destination for those seeking a unique blend of elegance, tradition, and world-class recreational experiences. This exclusive club, founded in 1915, has a rich history and a reputation for providing members and guests with exceptional amenities, including a beautifully manicured golf course, exquisite dining options, and a vibrant social atmosphere. St. Clair Country Club embodies the spirit of camaraderie, relaxation, and sophistication, making it a coveted sanctuary for both avid golfers and those in search of an inviting and welcoming community.
St. Clair Country Club History and Founding
St. Clair Country Club, situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, boasts a storied history dating back to its founding in 1916. Established by a group of visionaries who sought to create a haven for recreational and social pursuits, the club’s origins are steeped in tradition and exclusivity.
The distinguished architect Donald J. Ross, renowned for his prolific contributions to golf course design, was entrusted with crafting the club’s splendid golf course. Ross’s expertise and creativity are evident in the meticulously designed fairways and greens, which continue to challenge and delight golfers to this day.
Since its inception, St. Clair Country Club has evolved into a revered institution, offering not only a superb golfing experience but also a rich social atmosphere and exceptional dining facilities. The club’s enduring commitment to excellence, as well as its illustrious past, have solidified its place as a cherished fixture in the Pittsburgh community.
Famous Golf Tournament held at St. Clair Country Club
There are no professional golf tournaments held at St. Clair Country Club in Pittsburgh, PA. However, the club has hosted a number of prestigious amateur tournaments over the years, including:
- The Pennsylvania Amateur Championship (1995, 2007)
- The Western Pennsylvania Amateur Championship (1924, 1933, 1942, 1951, 1960, 1969, 1978, 1987, 1996, 2005, 2014)
- The Tri-State Amateur Championship (1947, 1956, 1965, 1974, 1983, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2019)
St. Clair Country Club is also known for its challenging golf course, which has been ranked among the best in Pennsylvania by Golf Digest and Golfweek. The course features undulating greens, water hazards on 11 holes, and strategically placed bunkers.
In addition to its amateur tournaments, St. Clair Country Club has also hosted a number of professional events, including the PGA Tour’s Pittsburgh Open from 1964 to 1969. The club has also hosted the LPGA Tour’s LPGA Pittsburgh Open on two occasions, in 1967 and 1968.
While St. Clair Country Club does not currently host any professional golf tournaments, it remains a popular destination for amateur golfers of all skill levels. The club’s challenging course and beautiful setting make it a great place to play golf and enjoy the outdoors.
St. Clair Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
St. Clair Country Club is a private country club in Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania, just eight miles from downtown Pittsburgh. It offers a variety of amenities, including an 18-hole championship golf course, a 9-hole terrace course, a state-of-the-art fitness center, an expansive pool complex, and four paddle tennis courts.
Membership at St. Clair is by invitation only, and there is a waiting list for all types of memberships. The estimated and rumored membership costs and dues for St. Clair Country Club are as follows:
Individual: $10,000 initiation fee, $500 monthly dues
Family: $15,000 initiation fee, $750 monthly dues
Corporate: $25,000 initiation fee, $1,000 monthly dues
It is important to note that these are just estimates and rumored costs, and the actual membership costs and dues may vary.
Here is a breakdown of the estimated and rumored membership costs and dues:
Individual Membership: $10,000 initiation fee and $500 monthly dues. This type of membership is available to individuals who are at least 21 years old and who do not have any dependents under the age of 18.
Family Membership: $15,000 initiation fee and $750 monthly dues. This type of membership is available to families with at least one child under the age of 18.
Corporate Membership: $25,000 initiation fee and $1,000 monthly dues. This type of membership is available to businesses and organizations.
In addition to the initiation fee and monthly dues, members of St. Clair Country Club are also responsible for a number of other expenses, such as golf cart rentals, food and beverage charges, and pro shop purchases.
St. Clair Country Club Amenities
St. Clair Country Club in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, offers a wide range of amenities to cater to the interests and needs of its members.
Here are some typical amenities you might find at a private country club like St. Clair:
- Championship Golf Course: St. Clair Country Club features a meticulously designed golf course, often created by a renowned golf course architect, such as Donald J. Ross. Members have access to a challenging and scenic layout for golfing enjoyment.
- Practice Facilities: The club may provide practice areas for members to improve their golfing skills, including driving ranges, putting greens, and practice bunkers.
- Clubhouse: A well-appointed clubhouse is typically the heart of the country club, offering dining options, social gathering spaces, and event facilities. Members can enjoy fine dining, casual meals, and private events within the clubhouse.
- Swimming Pool: Many country clubs have swimming pools for members to relax and cool off during the summer months.
- Tennis Courts: Tennis enthusiasts may find well-maintained courts for both recreational play and competitive matches.
- Fitness Center: Some country clubs offer fitness facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and possibly fitness classes or personal training.
- Social Events: Country clubs often organize a calendar of social events, including themed parties, galas, and cultural activities, to encourage a strong sense of community among members.
- Private Event Spaces: Private event rooms or banquet facilities may be available for weddings, special occasions, corporate events, and other gatherings.
- Junior Programs: Many clubs offer programs for young members, including junior golf, tennis, and swim programs.
- Spa and Wellness Services: Some high-end country clubs offer spa and wellness services to provide members with relaxation and rejuvenation options.
- Pro Shop: A pro shop is typically available for golf and tennis equipment, apparel, and accessories.
- Reciprocal Privileges: Some country clubs have reciprocal arrangements with other clubs, allowing their members to access amenities at other affiliated clubs when traveling.
St. Clair Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
St. Clair Country Club offers a variety of events and celebrations that members can enjoy throughout the year. While specific events and activities may vary, here are some common types of celebrations and gatherings you can expect to find at the club:
- Golf Tournaments: St. Clair Country Club often hosts various golf tournaments and events, including member tournaments, charity golf outings, and inter-club competitions. These events can be a great way for golf enthusiasts to compete and socialize.
- Social Events: The club typically organizes a calendar of social gatherings, including themed parties, dances, and holiday celebrations. These events provide opportunities for members to connect and enjoy a lively social atmosphere.
- Weddings and Receptions: Many members choose St. Clair Country Club as the venue for their weddings and wedding receptions due to its picturesque surroundings and elegant facilities. The club may offer wedding planning services to make the process easier for couples.
- Corporate and Business Events: The club can provide spaces for corporate meetings, conferences, and business events. Members and organizations can utilize these facilities for professional gatherings.
- Cultural and Arts Events: Some clubs host cultural events like art exhibitions, musical performances, and guest speaker series, providing opportunities for members to engage with the arts and culture.
- Junior Programs and Family Events: St. Clair Country Club often offers programs and events for children, including junior golf and tennis programs, as well as family-oriented events and activities.
- Private Parties and Celebrations: Members can arrange private events, such as birthday parties, anniversaries, and other special occasions in the club’s private event spaces.
- Fitness and Wellness Programs: Wellness events, such as fitness classes, wellness workshops, and health-related seminars, may be available to help members stay healthy and active.
- Holiday Celebrations: The club may host special events and gatherings for holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and more.
- Outdoor Activities: In addition to golf and tennis, the club may offer outdoor activities like picnics, barbecues, and outdoor games for members and their families.
St. Clair Country Club typically offers a range of dining options to cater to the culinary preferences of its members. While specific menus and dining options can change seasonally or by management decisions, here are some common dining options you might find at the club:
- Fine Dining: St. Clair Country Club often provides an elegant fine dining experience in a formal setting. Members can enjoy gourmet cuisine, an extensive wine list, and impeccable service. Fine dining is typically reserved for special occasions or more formal dining experiences.
- Casual Dining: Casual dining areas offer a more relaxed atmosphere where members can enjoy a diverse menu of dishes ranging from comfort food to contemporary American cuisine. These areas are often family-friendly and ideal for everyday dining.
- Outdoor Dining: Many country clubs, including St. Clair Country Club, feature outdoor dining options on patios or terraces, providing a scenic view of the golf course or natural surroundings. Outdoor dining is particularly popular during pleasant weather.
- Private Dining: Private dining rooms are available for intimate gatherings, business meetings, or special occasions. These spaces provide a more secluded and personalized dining experience.
- Bar and Lounge: The club’s bar and lounge area is often a social hub where members can relax, enjoy cocktails, watch sports events, and partake in light snacks or appetizers.
- Specialty Events and Buffets: The club may host special culinary events, such as themed dinners, wine tastings, holiday buffets, and brunches. These events provide variety and an opportunity to explore different cuisines.
- Catering Services: St. Clair Country Club typically offers catering services for private events and functions. Members can work with the club’s catering team to create customized menus for weddings, parties, and other gatherings.
- Grab-and-Go or Snack Options: Some country clubs have a grab-and-go area or snack bar where members can quickly pick up light refreshments, sandwiches, and beverages.
St. Clair Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
St. Clair Country Club, like many private clubs, typically enforces a dress code and has specific policies regarding guest access. These policies help maintain a certain level of decorum and ensure a pleasant and respectful atmosphere for all members and guests.
Here are some general guidelines that many private clubs, including St. Clair Country Club, often follow:
- Golf Attire: Proper golf attire is usually required on the golf course. This typically includes collared shirts, slacks or Bermuda shorts, golf shoes, and appropriate golf accessories. T-shirts, denim, and athletic wear are often not permitted on the golf course.
- Casual Dining: In casual dining areas, such as the clubhouse’s informal dining spaces or outdoor patios, neat and clean casual attire is usually acceptable. Specific guidelines may vary but often exclude items like swimwear, tank tops, and torn or overly casual clothing.
- Fine Dining: Fine dining areas usually have a more formal dress code, which may include business casual or even formal attire. Jackets, collared shirts, dresses, and closed-toe shoes for gentlemen and appropriate attire for ladies are often expected in these areas.
- Shoes: Proper footwear is typically required throughout the club, with golf shoes on the golf course and appropriate footwear elsewhere. This often excludes flip-flops, beach sandals, and athletic shoes.
- Member Sponsorship: Guests are typically allowed with sponsorship by a club member. The member often assumes responsibility for their guest’s conduct, attire, and adherence to club rules.
- Limitations: Clubs may place restrictions on the frequency and number of times a particular guest can visit the club without becoming a member themselves.
- Registration: Guests may need to register upon arrival, and clubs often have guest registration policies in place to keep track of who is visiting.
- Guest Fees: Some clubs charge guest fees for certain services or facilities, such as golf rounds, pool access, or dining. These fees can vary by club.
- Etiquette: Guests are generally expected to follow the club’s rules and guidelines, including dress code, conduct, and courtesy to other members and staff.
St. Clair Country Club in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, stands as a haven of tradition, elegance, and exceptional amenities. With its rich history dating back to 1915, a renowned golf course designed by Donald J. Ross, and a diverse range of social and recreational offerings, this club has consistently provided its members with an exclusive and welcoming community. St. Clair Country Club’s dedication to excellence in golf, fine dining, and a vibrant social scene continues to make it a cherished destination for those seeking a refined and enriching country club experience.