Sherwood Country Club is a private golf and country club located in Thousand Oaks, California, United States. The club was founded in 1989 by David Murdock, and it is named after the Sherwood Forest in England. The club is situated in a beautiful natural setting, with views of the Santa Monica Mountains and Lake Sherwood.
Sherwood Country Club History and Founding
Sherwood Country Club was founded in 1989 by David Murdock, who is a billionaire businessman and the owner of Dole Food Company. Murdock had a vision of creating a world-class golf and country club in the scenic Thousand Oaks area of Southern California. He purchased the 1,000-acre property and began developing the club, which included a golf course designed by legendary golfer Jack Nicklaus.
Construction of the golf course began in 1987, and it took two years to complete. The course was built with a focus on preserving the natural beauty of the surrounding landscape, with many of the original trees and other vegetation left intact. The course features rolling fairways, challenging bunkers, and strategically placed water hazards, making it a favorite among golf enthusiasts.
The club officially opened in 1989 and quickly gained a reputation as one of the top golf and country clubs in the United States. Over the years, Sherwood Country Club has hosted numerous high-profile golf events, including the Chevron World Challenge, which was hosted by Tiger Woods for several years.
Today, Sherwood Country Club is still owned by David Murdock, and it remains one of the most exclusive and prestigious clubs in the United States. The club has undergone several renovations and upgrades over the years, but it continues to offer members a world-class golf and country club experience in a beautiful natural setting.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Sherwood Country Club
Sherwood Country Club has hosted several famous golf tournaments over the years, including:
- Tiger Woods World Challenge: The Tiger Woods World Challenge was an annual golf tournament hosted by Tiger Woods to benefit the Tiger Woods Foundation. The tournament was held at Sherwood Country Club from 2000 to 2013 and featured some of the top golfers in the world. The tournament was known for its small field size and high level of competition.
- Invesco QQQ Championship: The Invesco QQQ Championship was a professional golf tournament on the PGA Tour Champions circuit that was held at Sherwood Country Club from 2016 to 2018. The tournament featured many of the top golfers over the age of 50, including Bernhard Langer, Colin Montgomerie, and Vijay Singh.
- Shark Shootout: The Shark Shootout was an annual golf tournament hosted by professional golfer Greg Norman that was held at Sherwood Country Club from 2000 to 2012. The tournament featured a unique team format and attracted many of the top golfers in the world.
In addition to these tournaments, Sherwood Country Club has also hosted several other high-profile golf events, including the California State Amateur Championship, the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, and the Chevron Shoot-Out.
Sherwood Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private club, Sherwood Country Club does not publicly disclose its membership costs and dues. Membership at Sherwood is by invitation only, and interested individuals must go through a rigorous vetting process and receive approval from the club’s membership committee.
However, based on information from various sources, including online forums and media reports, the initiation fee to join Sherwood Country Club is estimated to be in the range of $300,000 to $500,000. In addition to the initiation fee, members are also required to pay annual dues, which are rumored to be in the range of $30,000 to $50,000 per year.
Sherwood Country Club Amenities
Sherwood Country Club offers a wide range of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf: Sherwood Country Club is renowned for its challenging and picturesque golf course, which was designed by Jack Nicklaus. The course features 18 holes of golf, with rolling fairways, challenging bunkers, and strategically placed water hazards.
- Tennis: The country club has 14 tennis courts, including 10 hard courts and 4 clay courts. The tennis facilities also include a pro shop, locker rooms, and a viewing area.
- Swimming: Sherwood Country Club has a large outdoor swimming pool and a smaller indoor pool. The pool area includes lounge chairs, cabanas, and a poolside grill.
- Fitness: The club has a fully-equipped fitness center with state-of-the-art cardio and weight training equipment. The fitness facilities also include a yoga studio, a Pilates studio, and a spinning room.
- Dining: Sherwood Country Club has several dining options for members, including a formal dining room, a casual grill, and a lounge. The club also offers private dining rooms for special events and occasions.
- Spa: The club has a full-service spa that offers a range of spa treatments and services, including massages, facials, and body treatments.
- Social Events: Sherwood Country Club hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine tastings, and live entertainment.
- Other Amenities: The club also offers a variety of other amenities, including a pro shop, a kids’ club, a business center, and a concierge service.
Sherwood Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Sherwood Country Club offers a variety of event spaces for private events and special occasions, including weddings, corporate events, and social gatherings. The club has several indoor and outdoor event spaces, each with its own unique ambiance and capacity.
Some of the popular event spaces at Sherwood Country Club include:
- The Grand Ballroom: The Grand Ballroom is a spacious indoor event space that can accommodate up to 400 guests. The room features high ceilings, elegant chandeliers, and floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the golf course.
- The Lakehouse: The Lakehouse is an outdoor event space located on the shores of Lake Sherwood. The space can accommodate up to 200 guests and features a picturesque setting with a lakefront patio and a stone fireplace.
- The Dining Room: The Dining Room is a formal dining space that can be reserved for private events. The room features a grand fireplace, classic decor, and views of the golf course.
- The Boardroom: The Boardroom is a smaller private event space that is ideal for business meetings and intimate gatherings. The room features a conference table, leather chairs, and a built-in audio-visual system.
In terms of dining options, Sherwood Country Club has several dining venues for members and their guests, including:
- The Clubhouse Grill: The Clubhouse Grill is a casual dining venue that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The menu features classic American cuisine, as well as daily specials and seasonal dishes.
- The Lounge: The Lounge is a cozy gathering spot that features a full bar and a small bites menu. The Lounge is open for lunch and dinner, and it’s a popular spot for happy hour and pre-dinner drinks.
- The Terrace: The Terrace is an outdoor dining space that overlooks the golf course. The Terrace is open for lunch and dinner during the warmer months, and it’s a popular spot for al fresco dining and sunset cocktails.
- Private Dining: Sherwood Country Club also offers several private dining options for members and their guests, including the Grand Ballroom, the Dining Room, and the Lakehouse. These spaces can be reserved for special occasions and events, and the menu can be customized to suit the occasion.
Sherwood Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Sherwood Country Club has a strict dress code policy to maintain a high standard of etiquette and decorum. Members and their guests are expected to dress appropriately when on club premises.
The dress code policy at Sherwood Country Club is as follows:
- Golf Course: On the golf course, men are required to wear collared shirts and golf slacks or shorts. Women are required to wear golf shirts or blouses and golf slacks, shorts, or skirts. Denim, t-shirts, tank tops, and athletic wear are not permitted on the golf course.
- Tennis Courts: On the tennis courts, appropriate tennis attire is required. Men are required to wear tennis shorts and collared shirts. Women are required to wear tennis skirts or shorts and tennis tops. Running shoes are not permitted on the courts.
- Clubhouse: In the clubhouse, appropriate casual or formal attire is required depending on the time of day and the venue. Men are required to wear collared shirts and slacks or shorts. Women are required to wear appropriate casual or formal attire. Denim, t-shirts, tank tops, and athletic wear are not permitted in the clubhouse.
In terms of guest policy, Sherwood Country Club allows members to bring guests to the club, subject to certain restrictions and fees. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests comply with the club’s rules and regulations, including the dress code policy. Members must also make reservations for their guests in advance and pay any applicable guest fees. The club also limits the number of guests a member can bring to the club on any given day.