Columbia Country Club is a private country club located in Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States. It was founded in 1898 and has since then become one of the most prestigious country clubs in the Washington D.C. area. Membership at Columbia Country Club is by invitation only, and the club has a strict dress code and code of conduct to maintain its exclusivity and high standards. The club has been the venue for various high-profile events, including political fundraisers, charity events, and private functions.
Columbia Country Club History and Founding
Columbia Country Club was founded in 1898 by a group of local residents who were looking for a place to play golf and socialize. The club was initially located in the District of Columbia, but it later moved to its current location in Chevy Chase, Maryland, in 1911.
The original golf course was designed by Herbert Strong, a prominent golf course architect of the time. The course was built on farmland and featured rolling hills, mature trees, and natural water hazards, which made it a challenging and enjoyable course for golfers of all levels.
Over the years, the club has undergone several renovations and improvements to keep up with the changing needs of its members. In 1924, the club built a new clubhouse, which has since been expanded and updated to include modern amenities.
Columbia Country Club has also hosted numerous important events over the years, including the 1921 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship and the 1995 U.S. Senior Open. The club is known for its commitment to promoting the sport of golf and has a strong junior golf program that has produced many talented young golfers.
Today, Columbia Country Club continues to be a premier private country club, known for its excellent facilities, exceptional golf course, and commitment to providing a high level of service and hospitality to its members.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Columbia Country Club
Columbia Country Club has hosted several prestigious golf tournaments over the years, including:
- U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship (1921): This was the first major golf tournament held at Columbia Country Club. It was won by Marion Hollins, a prominent amateur golfer of the time.
- Washington Star Open (1953-1960): This was a professional golf tournament that was held annually at Columbia Country Club. It attracted many of the top players of the era, including Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead, and Gary Player.
- U.S. Senior Open (1995): This was a major championship on the senior circuit (now known as the PGA Tour Champions) and was won by Tom Weiskopf.
- Mid-Atlantic Amateur Championship (2019): This is an annual amateur golf tournament that is held at different courses in the Mid-Atlantic region. In 2019, it was held at Columbia Country Club and was won by Josh Gibson.
In addition to these tournaments, Columbia Country Club has also hosted numerous other golf events, including charity tournaments, member-guest events, and junior golf tournaments. The club’s championship golf course is known for its challenging layout and has been praised by many top golfers over the years.
Columbia Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private country club, membership costs and dues at Columbia Country Club are not publicly disclosed. However, it is known that the club has a high initiation fee and annual dues, which can vary depending on the type of membership and level of access to the club’s facilities. However, based on industry standards and rumors, membership costs and dues at Columbia Country Club are considered to be high and exclusive.
The initiation fee for membership at Columbia Country Club is estimated can range from $50,000 to $100,000 or more, depending on the type of membership. In addition to the initiation fee, members are typically required to pay annual dues, which are rumored to range from $10,000 to $20,000 or more.
Columbia Country Club Amenities
Columbia Country Club offers a wide range of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf Course: The club’s 18-hole championship golf course is the centerpiece of the club’s offerings. Designed by renowned golf course architect Herbert Strong, the course features a challenging layout, mature trees, and natural water hazards.
- Tennis Courts: Columbia Country Club has several tennis courts, including both hard and clay courts, which are available for members to use. The club also offers tennis lessons and clinics for all levels.
- Swimming Pool: The club has a large outdoor swimming pool, which is open during the summer months. The pool area also includes a snack bar and lounge chairs for members to relax and enjoy the sun.
- Fitness Center: Columbia Country Club has a fully equipped fitness center with cardio and weight training equipment, as well as a variety of fitness classes and personal training sessions.
- Dining: The club has several dining options, including a formal dining room, a casual grill, and a bar/lounge area. The country club also offers catering services for events and private functions.
- Event Spaces: Columbia Country Club has several event spaces that can accommodate a wide range of events, from business meetings to weddings and other social gatherings.
- Junior Programs: The club offers a variety of junior programs, including junior golf, tennis, and swimming lessons, as well as summer camps and other activities for kids and teens.
Overall, Columbia Country Club offers a comprehensive range of amenities for its members, designed to meet the needs of golfers, tennis players, fitness enthusiasts, and those looking for social and dining opportunities.
Columbia Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Columbia Country Club offers several event spaces for both members and non-members to host events such as weddings, corporate events, and private parties. The club has both indoor and outdoor event spaces, including ballrooms, meeting rooms, and outdoor patios and gardens. The club’s professional event staff can help plan and execute events, including catering, audiovisual services, and decor.
The club also offers a variety of dining options for members and guests. The formal dining room offers an elegant atmosphere for fine dining, while the grill room provides a more casual dining experience. The club also has a bar and lounge area, as well as a snack bar near the pool. The club’s culinary team prepares a range of cuisine, including American, French, and Italian-inspired dishes, using locally sourced ingredients whenever possible.
Columbia Country Club also hosts several special dining events throughout the year, including wine dinners, holiday brunches, and themed dinners. Members can also take advantage of the club’s catering services for private events and functions, including weddings, corporate events, and family celebrations.
Columbia Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Columbia Country Club has a strict dress code policy for members and guests. The dress code varies depending on the area of the club and the time of day, but generally, the following guidelines apply:
- Golf Course: Proper golf attire is required at all times on the golf course, including collared shirts for men and women, slacks or Bermuda-length shorts for men, and golf skirts or shorts for women. Denim, athletic wear, and cargo shorts are not allowed on the golf course.
- Dining Areas: The club’s formal dining room requires business casual attire, including collared shirts for men, dress pants, and dress shoes. Women should wear appropriate attire, such as dresses or dressy separates. The club’s grill room and lounge area allow more casual attire, such as collared shirts, dress shorts, and casual shoes.
- Guest Policy: Columbia Country Club allows members to bring guests to the club, but guests must be accompanied by the member at all times. Guests are expected to follow the club’s dress code policy and conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner while on the club’s property. The club also limits the number of times a guest can visit the club per year, and guests are not permitted to use the club’s facilities on their own.
Overall, Columbia Country Club’s dress code and guest policies are designed to maintain the club’s standards of excellence and exclusivity, while also ensuring that all members and guests feel comfortable and welcome at the club.