Houston Country Club is a private country club located in Houston, Texas. It was founded in 1908 and has a rich history of providing its members with exceptional golf, tennis, and dining experiences. The club features a challenging 18-hole golf course, designed by legendary golf course architect Ralph Plummer, as well as 22 tennis courts, including clay, hard, and grass surfaces. In addition to its sports facilities, the club has several dining options, ranging from casual to formal, and hosts a variety of social events throughout the year. The club is known for its elegant and welcoming atmosphere and is a popular destination for Houston’s elite. Membership is by invitation only.
Houston Country Club History and Founding
Houston Country Club was founded in 1908 by a group of prominent Houston businessmen who were avid golfers. They sought to create a club that would provide a first-class golfing experience in a picturesque setting. The club’s first golf course was designed by Tom Bendelow, a well-known golf course architect of the time.
In the 1920s, the club’s leadership decided to expand its facilities and hired Ralph Plummer, another prominent golf course architect, to design a new 18-hole golf course. Plummer’s Design, which opened in 1926, is considered one of the finest golf courses in Texas and has hosted numerous tournaments over the years, including the Texas Open.
During World War II, the club suspended its golf and social activities and opened its doors to the United States Army Air Corps. The club’s facilities were used as housing for military personnel and as a training center for B-17 bomber crews.
After the war, the club resumed its operations and continued to grow and expand. In the 1950s, the club added a swimming pool and a tennis complex, which has since grown to become one of the largest and most comprehensive tennis facilities in the country.
Today, Houston Country Club remains one of the premier private country clubs in the country, with a rich history and a commitment to providing its members with exceptional golf, tennis, and social experiences.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Houston Country Club
Houston Country Club has hosted several high-profile golf tournaments over the years. One of the most notable is the Houston Open, which has been held at the club multiple times. The Houston Open is a professional golf tournament that is part of the PGA Tour. The tournament has a long history, dating back to 1946, and has featured many of the world’s top golfers over the years.
The Houston Open has been held at Houston Country Club four times, in 1947, 1951, 1952, and 1963. Notable winners of the tournament at Houston Country Club include Arnold Palmer, who won in 1957, and Jack Burke Jr., who won in 1952 and 1963. Other winners of the Houston Open at other venues include Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, and Fred Couples.
In addition to the Houston Open, Houston Country Club has also hosted other important golf tournaments, including the Trans-Mississippi Amateur Championship, the Texas Open, and the United States Women’s Amateur Championship. These tournaments have helped to cement the club’s reputation as one of the premier golf destinations in the country.
Houston Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private country club, Houston Country Club does not publicly disclose its membership costs and dues. Membership fees and dues can vary widely depending on the type of membership and the amenities and services included. However, it is estimated that the initiation fee to join the club could range from $100,000 to $300,000, with rumored monthly dues in the range of $10,000 and more.
It’s important to note that these are only estimates and the actual cost to join and maintain membership at Houston Country Club may vary depending on a variety of factors, such as membership type, age, and location.
Houston Country Club Amenities
Houston Country Club offers a wide range of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf: The club’s 18-hole golf course, designed by renowned golf course architect Ralph Plummer, is one of the finest in Texas. The course features challenging greens and beautiful scenery and is a favorite among golf enthusiasts.
- Tennis: Houston Country Club has one of the largest and most comprehensive tennis facilities in the country, with 22 courts, including clay, hard, and grass surfaces. The country club also has a full-service pro shop and offers lessons and clinics for all skill levels.
- Swimming: The club’s Olympic-sized swimming pool is a popular spot for members and their families during the summer months. The pool area also features a snack bar and cabanas for relaxing and socializing.
- Dining: Houston Country Club has several dining options, ranging from casual to formal. The club’s main dining room offers fine dining and is known for its elegant atmosphere and exceptional cuisine. The club also has a grill room, a casual dining option, and a snack bar.
- Fitness: The club’s fitness center features state-of-the-art equipment, including cardio machines, weightlifting equipment, and a variety of fitness classes.
- Social Events: Houston Country Club hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, galas, and themed events. The club also has a variety of private event spaces available for members to host their own events.
Overall, Houston Country Club offers its members a comprehensive range of amenities and services, designed to provide an exceptional country club experience.
Houston Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Houston Country Club hosts a variety of events throughout the year for its members, ranging from social events to golf and tennis tournaments. The club also has a variety of private event spaces available for members to host their own events, including weddings, corporate events, and other special occasions. The club’s event staff can work with members to customize their event and ensure it meets their needs and expectations.
In terms of dining options, Houston Country Club has several options to choose from, including:
- The Main Dining Room: This elegant dining room is the club’s flagship restaurant, offering fine dining in a sophisticated atmosphere. The menu features a variety of dishes, including fresh seafood, steak, and other classic American cuisines.
- The Grill Room: The Grill Room offers a more casual dining experience, with a menu that includes sandwiches, salads, and other lighter fare. The room also features a bar and lounge area, making it a popular spot for after-golf or after-tennis drinks.
- The Snack Bar: Located near the pool and tennis courts, the snack bar offers a variety of quick bites and snacks, including burgers, hot dogs, and ice cream.
- Private Dining: Houston Country Club also has several private dining rooms available for members to host their own events, from small business meetings to large banquets and receptions.
Overall, Houston Country Club’s dining options are designed to cater to a variety of tastes and occasions, with exceptional service and attention to detail.
Houston Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Houston Country Club has a dress code that all members and guests are expected to adhere to. The dress code is designed to maintain the club’s standards of elegance and sophistication and to ensure that all members and guests feel comfortable and appropriately dressed while on the club’s premises.
For men, acceptable attire includes collared shirts and slacks, with jackets required in the Main Dining Room and other formal dining areas. Shorts may be worn on the golf course and tennis courts but must be tailored and no shorter than mid-thigh. Denim and T-shirts are not allowed in any area of the club.
For women, acceptable attire includes dresses, skirts or slacks, and blouses or sweaters. Shorts may be worn on the golf course and tennis courts but must be tailored and no shorter than mid-thigh. Denim and athletic wear are not allowed in any areas of the club.
Houston Country Club also has a guest policy that requires all guests to be accompanied by a member at all times. The number of guests that a member may bring to the club may be limited, and guests may be subject to additional fees or restrictions depending on the nature and duration of their visit. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests adhere to the club’s dress code and other policies while on the club’s premises.