Disclaimer: CountryClubMag.com is an independent resource and is not associated with any of the clubs on this website. Club initiation and membership cost information are estimates only and should not be relied upon for making club membership decisions.
Welcome to The Ridgewood Country Club, an oasis of elegance and leisure nestled in the heart of Paramus, New Jersey. Established in 1929, this distinguished country club has been a haven for those seeking refined recreation, exceptional amenities, and a welcoming community.
Surrounded by lush landscapes and boasting a rich history, The Ridgewood Country Club offers an unparalleled experience for golf enthusiasts, social gatherings, and those in pursuit of an active and vibrant lifestyle. From its meticulously manicured golf courses to its exquisite dining options and upscale facilities, The Ridgewood Country Club invites you to discover a world where luxury meets leisure in a setting of timeless sophistication.
The Ridgewood Country Club History and Founding
Founded in 1929, The Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, New Jersey, stands as a testament to a rich legacy of sporting excellence and community camaraderie. The club’s storied history is steeped in the vision of its founders, who sought to create a haven for recreation and social connection.
The architectural brilliance behind The Ridgewood Country Club can be attributed to the renowned architect A.W. Tillinghast, who played a pivotal role in shaping its golf courses. Tillinghast, a luminary in golf course design during the early 20th century, brought his expertise to Ridgewood, crafting a layout that seamlessly blends challenging play with the natural beauty of the surrounding landscape.
As the years have passed, The Ridgewood Country Club has evolved into a distinguished institution, continually enhancing its facilities and offerings while preserving the timeless charm that defines it. Today, members and guests alike can experience the enduring legacy of Tillinghast’s design and the vibrant history that has made The Ridgewood Country Club a premier destination for those seeking a blend of sporting excellence and refined social engagement.
Famous Golf Tournament held at The Ridgewood Country Club
The Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, New Jersey, has hosted several prestigious golf tournaments over the years. Here are a few of the most famous:
- 1935 Ryder Cup: The Ryder Cup is a biennial golf competition between teams from the United States and Europe. The 1935 Ryder Cup was held at Ridgewood Country Club, and the United States team won by a score of 9 to 3.
- 1974 U.S. Amateur Championship: The U.S. Amateur Championship is one of the most important amateur golf tournaments in the world. The 1974 U.S. Amateur Championship was held at Ridgewood Country Club, and Jerry Pate won the championship by defeating Ben Crenshaw in the final match.
- 1990 U.S. Senior Open: The U.S. Senior Open is a major championship for professional golfers who are over the age of 50. The 1990 U.S. Senior Open was held at Ridgewood Country Club, and Lee Trevino won the championship in a playoff over Jack Nicklaus.
- 2001 Senior PGA Championship: The Senior PGA Championship is another major championship for professional golfers who are over the age of 50. The 2001 Senior PGA Championship was held at Ridgewood Country Club, and Tom Watson won the championship by two strokes over Bruce Crampton.
- 2008-2014 The Barclays: The Barclays was a PGA Tour playoff event that was held at Ridgewood Country Club from 2008 to 2014. The winners of the Barclays during that period were Vijay Singh (2008), Matt Kuchar (2010), Hunter Mahan (2014), and Jim Furyk (2013).
- 2018 The Northern Trust: The Northern Trust is the first playoff event on the PGA Tour. The 2018 Northern Trust was held at Ridgewood Country Club, and Bryson DeChambeau won the championship by four strokes over Justin Rose.
The Ridgewood Country Club is a historic and challenging course that has hosted some of the greatest golfers of all time. It is a true gem of American golf.
The Ridgewood Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
The Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, NJ is a private club with an estimated initiation fee of $125,000 to $150,000 and monthly dues of $2,500. There is also a waitlist of over 150 families.
The club has six different membership categories:
- Junior Individual: This membership is for individuals under the age of 21. The estimated annual dues are $10,000 and the rumored initiation fee is $50,000.
- Senior Individual: This membership is for individuals over the age of 55. The estimated annual dues are $15,000 and the rumored initiation fee is $75,000.
- Young Executive: This membership is for individuals between the ages of 21 and 35. The estimated annual dues are \$12,000 and the rumored initiation fee is $60,000.
- Full Golf: This membership is for individuals who want to play golf at the club. The estimated annual dues are $25,000 and the rumored initiation fee is $100,000.
- Social: This membership is for individuals who do not want to play golf at the club. The estimated annual dues are $5,000 and the rumored initiation fee is $25,000.
- Corporate: This membership is for businesses. The dues and initiation fees vary depending on the size of the business.
Please note that these are just estimates and rumors. The actual membership costs and dues may vary.
The Ridgewood Country Club Amenities
The Ridgewood Country Club in Paramus, NJ, offers a range of amenities to cater to the diverse interests and preferences of its members.
Here are common amenities that private country clubs like Ridgewood often provide:
- Golf Courses: The Ridgewood Country Club is renowned for its golf facilities. Members typically have access to meticulously designed and well-maintained golf courses.
- Clubhouse: A central hub for socializing, dining, and events. The clubhouse often includes dining rooms, lounges, and banquet facilities.
- Tennis Courts: Private clubs commonly offer tennis facilities, allowing members to enjoy the sport in a more exclusive setting.
- Swimming Pool: Many country clubs feature swimming pools for relaxation and recreation.
- Fitness Center: Health and wellness facilities, including gyms and fitness centers, may be available for members.
- Dining Options: Exclusive dining experiences ranging from casual to fine dining are often part of the club’s offerings.
- Social Events: Country clubs frequently host a variety of social events, providing opportunities for members to connect and build relationships.
- Junior Programs: Some clubs offer programs and facilities catering specifically to junior members, encouraging family involvement.
- Spa and Wellness Services: Upscale country clubs may provide spa services and wellness programs for members looking to unwind and prioritize self-care.
- Private Event Spaces: The club may offer private event spaces for special occasions, weddings, and corporate events.
The Ridgewood Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Country clubs like The Ridgewood Country Club often host a variety of events and celebrations throughout the year to cater to the interests and preferences of their members. While specific events can vary, here are some common types of celebrations and gatherings that members of a country club might enjoy:
- Holiday Celebrations: Country clubs often host special events for major holidays, including New Year’s Eve parties, Fourth of July celebrations, Thanksgiving dinners, and more.
- Themed Parties: Clubs may organize themed parties or costume events, providing members with an opportunity to socialize in a festive and entertaining atmosphere.
- Golf Tournaments: Golf-centric events, including member tournaments, charity golf outings, and championships, are common at country clubs with golf facilities.
- Fine Dining Events: Exclusive dining experiences such as wine tastings, gourmet dinners, and chef’s table events can be a highlight for members who appreciate culinary excellence.
- Family-Focused Events: Family-oriented events like picnics, barbecues, and children’s activities contribute to a sense of community and inclusivity.
- Concerts and Entertainment: Some country clubs host live music events, concerts, or entertainment nights to provide members with cultural and leisure opportunities.
- Themed Dinners: Special dinners centered around a particular cuisine, holiday, or cultural theme can be a popular offering.
- Sports Events Viewing: Members may gather to watch major sporting events together, creating a social atmosphere for enjoying games on big screens.
- Fitness and Wellness Events: Health and wellness-themed events, such as fitness classes, wellness workshops, and spa days, contribute to a holistic club experience.
- Private Celebrations: Members can often reserve private event spaces within the club for personal celebrations like weddings, anniversaries, and milestone birthdays.
The dining offerings at country clubs can vary, and they often provide a range of options to cater to different preferences and occasions.
Typically, country clubs like The Ridgewood Country Club offer the following dining options:
- Main Dining Room: The main dining room is often an elegant setting for formal or upscale dining experiences. It may feature a diverse menu with a focus on high-quality cuisine.
- Casual Dining: Country clubs usually have a more relaxed, casual dining area for members who prefer a laid-back atmosphere. This could include a grille or lounge offering a varied menu of comfort foods.
- Outdoor Dining: Many country clubs take advantage of their scenic surroundings and offer outdoor dining options. This could include a terrace or patio with beautiful views of the golf course or other amenities.
- Private Dining Rooms: For members hosting private events or celebrations, country clubs often provide private dining rooms that can be reserved for a more intimate experience.
- Specialty Cuisine Nights: Some clubs host themed dining events or nights featuring specific cuisines, allowing members to enjoy a variety of culinary experiences.
- Bar and Lounge: A bar and lounge area is common in country clubs, providing a social space for members to relax, enjoy drinks, and perhaps catch up on sports events.
The Ridgewood Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Typically, country clubs have dress codes to maintain a certain level of decorum and uphold the club’s atmosphere. These dress codes often apply to different areas of the club, such as the golf course, dining areas, and recreational facilities. Some common elements of dress codes at country clubs include:
- Collared shirts for men and appropriate golf attire.
- No denim or cutoffs.
- Golf shoes with soft spikes.
- Smart casual or business casual attire.
- No athletic wear, beachwear, or overly casual clothing.
- Jackets may be required in certain formal dining areas.
- Guests may be required to be accompanied by a member.
- Some areas of the club may be restricted to members only.
- Advance reservations for guests may be necessary.
The Ridgewood Country Club stands as a beacon of elegance and community in the heart of Paramus, New Jersey. With a rich history dating back to its founding in 1929, this distinguished country club has become synonymous with refined recreation, exceptional amenities, and a welcoming social atmosphere. From the meticulously designed golf courses crafted by the renowned architect A.W. Tillinghast to the upscale dining options and a plethora of social events, The Ridgewood Country Club offers its members a haven where luxury and leisure converge seamlessly.
As a venue that has hosted prestigious golf tournaments like The Barclays, it continues to be a symbol of sporting excellence. Whether enjoying a round of golf, partaking in exquisite dining experiences, or participating in vibrant community events, members of The Ridgewood Country Club find themselves immersed in a world where tradition and modernity coalesce, creating lasting memories and fostering enduring connections.