Cherry Hills Country Club is a private golf club located in Cherry Hills Village, Colorado, which is a suburb of Denver. The club was founded in 1922 and has since become one of the most prestigious golf clubs in the United States.
The club features a championship 18-hole golf course that was designed by William Flynn and opened in 1923. The course has hosted several major golf tournaments, including the U.S. Open, U.S. Senior Open, PGA Championship, and the BMW Championship.
In addition to golf, the club offers a range of amenities and facilities for its members, including tennis courts, swimming pools, a fitness center, dining options, and event spaces for weddings and other special occasions.
Membership to Cherry Hills Country Club is by invitation only, and the club has a strict dress code and etiquette policy to maintain its exclusivity and reputation.
Cherry Hills Country Club History and Founding
Cherry Hills Country Club was founded in 1922 by a group of prominent Denver businessmen who were avid golfers and saw the need for a top-notch golf course in the area. The founders included oilman and philanthropist Henry H. Blood, businessman George Cranmer, and banker Charles T. Fisher, among others.
They hired renowned golf course architect William Flynn to design the course, and the club officially opened in 1923. The course was an instant success and quickly gained a reputation as one of the finest golf courses in the United States.
Over the years, Cherry Hills Country Club has hosted many prestigious golf tournaments, including the U.S. Open, U.S. Senior Open, PGA Championship, and the BMW Championship. The most famous of these tournaments was the 1960 U.S. Open, where Arnold Palmer staged a historic comeback to win his only U.S. Open title.
In addition to its golfing history, Cherry Hills Country Club has played an important role in the social and cultural life of the Denver area. The club has hosted numerous high-profile events and has been a favorite gathering spot for the city’s business and political elite.
Today, Cherry Hills Country Club continues to thrive as one of the premier private golf clubs in the country, known for its exceptional facilities, excellent service, and rich history.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Cherry Hills Country Club
Cherry Hills Country Club has hosted many famous golf tournaments throughout its history, including several major championships. One of the most famous tournaments held at the club was the 1960 U.S. Open, which is widely regarded as one of the greatest golf tournaments of all time.
In that tournament, Arnold Palmer staged a dramatic comeback to win his only U.S. Open title. Starting the final round seven shots behind the leader, Palmer played an incredible round of golf, shooting a 65 to come from behind and win by two shots over Jack Nicklaus.
The 1985 PGA Championship was also held at Cherry Hills Country Club, and it produced another memorable moment in golf history. On the par-5 11th hole in the final round, Tze-Chung Chen made a double eagle (also known as an albatross), which is one of the rarest shots in golf. Chen’s double eagle helped propel him to a tie for third place in the tournament.
Cherry Hills has also hosted the U.S. Senior Open twice, in 1993 and 2012, and the BMW Championship in 2014. All of these tournaments have featured many of the best golfers in the world, and they have helped cement Cherry Hills Country Club’s reputation as one of the premier golf venues in the United States.
Cherry Hills Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
Cherry Hills Country Club is a private, members-only club, and as such, membership costs and dues are not publicly disclosed. However, it is known that the club has a very exclusive and prestigious reputation, and membership is by invitation only.
However, it is widely known that membership to the club is by invitation only and is limited to a select number of individuals and families. However, estimated initiation fees of approximately $10,000 – $100,000 and rumored annual fees of around $1,000 – $10,000, though these are merely speculation, of course, as the costs are kept private.
Cherry Hills Country Club Amenities
Cherry Hills Country Club offers a wide range of amenities and facilities for its members, including:
- Championship Golf Course: The club’s 18-hole golf course was designed by renowned architect William Flynn and has hosted many prestigious golf tournaments.
- Golf Practice Facilities: In addition to the main course, the club offers a driving range, putting green, and a short game practice area.
- Tennis Facilities: The country club has eight outdoor tennis courts, including four clay courts and four hard courts.
- Swimming Pools: There are two outdoor swimming pools at the club, including a lap pool and a family pool.
- Fitness Center: The club’s fitness center features state-of-the-art equipment and offers personal training, group fitness classes, and wellness programs.
- Dining: There are several dining options at Cherry Hills Country Club, including a formal dining room, a grill room, and a patio overlooking the golf course.
- Event Spaces: The club has several event spaces available for weddings, banquets, and other special occasions.
- Kids Club: The club’s Kids Club offers childcare services and a variety of activities for children.
- Social Activities: The club hosts a variety of social activities throughout the year, including holiday events, wine tastings, and cultural events.
Overall, Cherry Hills Country Club offers a comprehensive array of amenities and services designed to meet the needs of its members and their families.
Cherry Hills Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Cherry Hills Country Club offers a variety of event spaces and dining options for its members and their guests.
Event Spaces: The club has several event spaces available for weddings, banquets, and other special occasions. The ballroom, which can accommodate up to 300 guests, is a popular choice for weddings and large events. The club also has smaller event spaces available for more intimate gatherings, such as the Fireside Room and the Private Dining Room.
Dining Options: Cherry Hills Country Club has several dining options available for its members and their guests, including:
- Formal Dining Room: The Formal Dining Room offers an elegant atmosphere for fine dining and special occasions. The menu features a variety of gourmet dishes, and the wine list is extensive.
- Grill Room: The Grill Room is a more casual dining option, offering a variety of sandwiches, burgers, and salads, as well as a full bar.
- Patio: The Patio overlooks the golf course and is a popular spot for al fresco dining during the warmer months. The menu features a variety of grilled items, salads, and sandwiches.
- 19th Hole: The 19th Hole is a snack bar located near the golf course and offers a selection of sandwiches, hot dogs, and other grab-and-go items.
- Private Dining: The club also offers private dining options for members who wish to host a small gathering or dinner party. The Private Dining Room can accommodate up to 12 guests, and the Fireside Room can accommodate up to 30 guests.
Overall, Cherry Hills Country Club offers a variety of dining options and event spaces to suit the needs of its members and their guests. The club’s chefs and staff are dedicated to providing a high level of service and creating memorable dining experiences.
Cherry Hills Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Cherry Hills Country Club has a dress code that is strictly enforced to maintain a certain level of decorum and respect for the club’s traditions.
Dress Code: For men, appropriate attire includes collared shirts, slacks, and Bermuda-length shorts. Denim, athletic wear, and t-shirts are not allowed on the golf course or in any of the club’s dining areas. For women, appropriate attire includes dresses, skirts, slacks, and blouses. Athletic wear, shorts shorter than Bermuda length, and denim are not permitted. Shoes must be appropriate for the activity, and hats must be worn with the bill facing forward.
Guest Policy: Cherry Hills Country Club is a private club that allows guests of members to visit the club on a limited basis. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests adhere to the club’s rules and regulations, including the dress code. Guests are allowed to use the golf course, tennis courts, and other club facilities, subject to availability and any applicable guest fees. Guests may also dine at the club’s restaurants but must be accompanied by a member. The number of guests that a member may bring to the club is limited and varies depending on the day of the week and the time of year.
Overall, Cherry Hills Country Club takes its dress code and guest policy seriously to maintain the club’s exclusive and prestigious atmosphere. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests are aware of and comply with the club’s rules and regulations.