The Turnberry Golf Club, located in the Village of Lakewood, Illinois, is a prestigious golfing destination known for its beautiful courses and scenic surroundings. Nestled in the heart of Lake County, just northwest of Chicago, Turnberry offers an exceptional golfing experience for players of all skill levels. Whether you’re a seasoned golfer or a beginner looking to improve your game, Turnberry Golf Club offers an unforgettable golfing adventure.
The Village of Lakewood itself is a charming community that exudes small-town charm and natural beauty. Surrounded by picturesque landscapes, including tranquil lakes and lush forests, the village provides a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. It offers a range of recreational activities, such as hiking, boating, and fishing, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Turnberry Golf Club in the Village of Lakewood, Illinois, is a premier golfing destination renowned for its exceptional courses, scenic surroundings, and top-notch amenities. Whether you’re a golf aficionado or simply seeking a tranquil retreat in nature, Turnberry and the Village of Lakewood offer an unforgettable experience for visitors and residents alike.
Turnberry Golf Club History and Founding
The history of Turnberry Golf Club traces back to its founding in the Village of Lakewood, Illinois. The club was established with the vision of creating a premier golfing destination that would provide a high-quality golfing experience to its members and visitors.
The exact founding date of Turnberry Golf Club may vary, as it could refer to the establishment of the golf course or the formal incorporation of the club. However, typically, golf courses are developed before the establishment of a formal club. Therefore, the focus here will be on the history of the golf course itself.
Turnberry Golf Club was designed by renowned golf course architect Roger Packard. Packard is known for his expertise in creating challenging yet enjoyable golf courses that blend harmoniously with the natural landscape. His design philosophy emphasizes the preservation of the environment while providing a memorable golfing experience.
The construction of Turnberry Golf Club involved shaping the land to create two championship courses that would appeal to golfers of all skill levels. The course layout incorporated rolling terrain, strategically placed water features, and beautifully manicured fairways and greens.
Over the years, Turnberry Golf Club has gained a reputation for its exceptional course conditions and the high level of service it provides to its members and guests. The club has hosted numerous golf tournaments and events, attracting both professional and amateur golfers.
As for the specific details of the club’s founding, such as the individuals or groups involved, it would be best to consult local historical records, and club archives, or reach out to the club directly for more accurate and detailed information about its founding and early history.
In summary, Turnberry Golf Club in the Village of Lakewood, Illinois, was founded with the aim of creating a top-tier golfing destination. Designed by Roger Packard, the club offers two championship courses that provide a challenging and enjoyable golfing experience. With its dedication to course quality and service, Turnberry has become a well-regarded golf club within the region.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Turnberry Golf Club
One of the most famous golf tournaments held at Turnberry Golf Club is the Open Championship, also known as the British Open. The Open Championship is one of the four major championships in professional golf and is the oldest of the four. It is typically held annually in the United Kingdom and attracts the world’s top golfers.
Turnberry Golf Club has hosted the Open Championship on multiple occasions, most notably in 1977, 1986, and 2009. These tournaments have become legendary in the history of golf and have left an indelible mark on Turnberry’s reputation as a premier golfing destination.
The 1977 Open Championship at Turnberry is particularly memorable because it featured the famous “Duel in the Sun” between golfing legends Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus. The two golfers engaged in an epic battle over the course of four days, with Watson ultimately emerging victorious by defeating Nicklaus in an intense head-to-head competition.
The 1986 Open Championship held at Turnberry is also widely recognized for producing another historic moment in golf. This tournament marked the remarkable comeback of Tom Watson, who, at the age of 46, was challenged for the championship once again. Despite narrowly missing out on the title, Watson’s performance captured the hearts of fans and remains an iconic moment in golf history.
In 2009, Turnberry once again hosted the Open Championship, attracting global attention. The tournament was notable for producing another thrilling finish, with Stewart Cink eventually prevailing in a playoff against the legendary Tom Watson, who, at the age of 59, had captured the world’s imagination with his remarkable performance throughout the event.
The Open Championships held at Turnberry Golf Club have showcased the beauty and challenge of the course, as well as the resilience and skill of the golfers who have competed there. These tournaments have solidified Turnberry’s status as a prestigious venue and have contributed to its rich golfing legacy.
It’s worth noting that the specific tournament rotations and schedules for the Open Championship are determined by The R&A (The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews), the governing body for golf outside the United States and Mexico. Therefore, the future hosting of the Open Championship at Turnberry may be subject to the decisions made by The R&A in consultation with various factors and venues.
Turnberry Golf Club Membership Costs and Dues
Turnberry Golf Club is a premier golf destination in Illinois, offering a variety of membership options for golf enthusiasts. Whether you are looking for a full-service club with unlimited access to the course, range, and simulator, or a more affordable plan that still gives you member rates and benefits, Turnberry Golf Club has something for you. These are the different membership costs and dues for the 2023 season, based on the information from the club’s official website.
Social Membership – $250
- No initiation fees
- No minimum spend
- Use of Tennis Courts, Basketball Courts, Pickleball Courts
- Beach Volleyball to be added in the future
- Participation in Club Events
2023 Golf Memberships
- No initiation fees
- No minimum spend
- Greens Fees and cart fees waived all year
- Range Fees waived
- Simulator and Toptracer Member rates (25% less than non-member rates)
- Locker fees waived
- Bag Storage fees waived
- Permanent Tee times
- Thirty day advance tee time reservations
- Up to 7 guests pay member rate per day
- Participation in club events
** Members and their guests are entitled to the member rate for golf or the senior rate for golf but not both!
Turnberry Golf Club Amenities
Turnberry Golf Club offers a range of amenities to enhance the overall experience for its members and guests. While specific amenities may vary, here are some common features often found at prestigious golf clubs:
- Championship Golf Courses: Turnberry Golf Club boasts two championship golf courses designed to provide an enjoyable and challenging golfing experience. These courses typically feature well-maintained fairways, strategically placed hazards, and scenic views.
- Practice Facilities: The country club may provide practice facilities, such as driving ranges, putting greens, and chipping areas. These facilities allow golfers to work on their skills and warm up before a round.
- Clubhouse: The clubhouse serves as the central hub of the club, offering a variety of amenities and services. It often includes amenities such as locker rooms, lounges, dining areas, and pro shops. Members and guests can socialize, relax, and enjoy the club’s hospitality.
- Dining Options: Turnberry Golf Club may have dining options ranging from casual to fine dining. Members and guests can indulge in delicious cuisine prepared by skilled chefs, complemented by a selection of beverages.
- Pro Shop: The pro shop is where golfers can find a wide range of golf equipment, apparel, accessories, and merchandise. It often stocks the latest golfing gear and offers professional advice to help golfers make informed purchasing decisions.
- Lessons and Instruction: The club may offer golf lessons and instruction from experienced golf professionals. These lessons can cater to players of all skill levels, helping them improve their game and enhance their enjoyment of the sport.
- Events and Tournaments: Turnberry Golf Club may host various golf events, tournaments, and social gatherings throughout the year. These events provide opportunities for members and guests to compete, socialize, and enjoy a vibrant golfing community.
- Recreational Facilities: Depending on the club’s size and location, there may be additional recreational facilities such as tennis courts, swimming pools, fitness centers, or spa services available for members to enjoy.
It’s important to note that the specific amenities offered by Turnberry Golf Club may vary, and it’s best to contact the club directly.
Turnberry Golf Club Event Information and Dining Options
Turnberry Golf Club can be a versatile venue for celebrating various events. While the specific events that can be celebrated at Turnberry may depend on the club’s policies and availability, here are some common occasions that can be celebrated at golf clubs in general, including Turnberry:
- Golf Tournaments: Turnberry Golf Club is an ideal venue for hosting golf tournaments, whether they are charity fundraisers, corporate outings, member-exclusive competitions, or professional events. These tournaments can provide a competitive and enjoyable experience for participants while also fostering a sense of community.
- Weddings and Receptions: Golf clubs often have picturesque settings and elegant facilities, making them popular choices for weddings and receptions. Turnberry Golf Club may offer indoor or outdoor spaces for ceremonies, reception halls for dining and dancing, and dedicated wedding planning services to ensure a memorable event.
- Corporate and Business Functions: Golf clubs can serve as excellent locations for hosting corporate events such as conferences, seminars, meetings, team-building activities, or client appreciation gatherings. The club’s facilities, including meeting rooms, audiovisual equipment, and catering services, can cater to the needs of businesses and organizations.
- Social and Family Celebrations: Golf clubs can be great venues for various social and family celebrations, such as birthdays, anniversaries, retirement parties, holiday gatherings, or family reunions. The club’s dining areas, private rooms, and event planning services can accommodate both intimate and large-scale events.
- Charity and Fundraising Events: Turnberry Golf Club may be a suitable venue for hosting charity and fundraising events, including golf tournaments, galas, auctions, or benefit dinners. These events can help raise funds for charitable causes while providing a memorable experience for attendees.
It’s important to note that the availability of hosting specific events at Turnberry Golf Club may vary, and it’s best to contact the club directly.
Here are some typical dining options you might find at a golf club:
- Clubhouse Restaurant: The clubhouse at Turnberry Golf Club may feature a restaurant offering a diverse menu. It could include a range of dishes, from casual options like sandwiches, salads, and burgers to more upscale fare such as steaks, seafood, and chef’s specials. The restaurant may also offer vegetarian or gluten-free options to cater to different dietary preferences.
- Bar and Lounge: The club might have a bar and lounge area where members and guests can relax, socialize, and enjoy a drink or two. The bar menu may include a selection of wines, craft beers, cocktails, and non-alcoholic beverages. Additionally, the lounge area might offer a lighter menu with appetizers, snacks, and small plates.
- Patio or Outdoor Dining: Depending on the climate and layout of the club, there may be an outdoor dining area, such as a patio or terrace, that offers a scenic setting for enjoying meals and beverages. Outdoor dining can provide a refreshing experience and picturesque views of the golf course.
- Private Dining and Event Rooms: Turnberry Golf Club might have private dining rooms or event spaces available for special occasions, private parties, or business meetings. These rooms can offer a more intimate and exclusive dining experience, along with personalized service and customized menus.
Turnberry Golf Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
The dress code and guest policy at Turnberry Golf Club may vary, so it’s essential to refer to the specific guidelines set by the club. However, I can provide you with a general idea of what to expect at a private golf club in terms of dress code and guest policy:
Dress Code: Golf clubs typically enforce a dress code to maintain a certain level of decorum and respect for the tradition of the sport. The dress code at Turnberry Golf Club may include the following general guidelines:
- Golf Attire: Proper golf attire is typically required on the golf course and practice areas. This often includes collared shirts, golf pants or shorts, and golf-specific shoes (soft spikes or spikeless shoes). T-shirts, denim jeans, athletic shorts, and flip-flops are usually not allowed on the golf course.
- Clubhouse Attire: The clubhouse may have a more relaxed dress code, but it still maintains a certain level of smart-casual attire. This may include collared shirts, neat trousers, dresses, skirts, or tailored shorts. It’s common for hats, caps, and visors to be removed indoors.
- Special Events or Dining: For special events or fine dining, a more formal dress code may be required. This could include jackets for men, dresses or dressy attire for women, and appropriate footwear.
Guest Policy: The guest policy at Turnberry Golf Club may vary depending on the membership structure and club rules. Generally, private golf clubs prioritize their members’ access to facilities and may have certain limitations or protocols for guest access. Some common guest policies include:
- Member Guests: Members may be allowed to bring guests to the club and golf course. The number of guests, restrictions on the frequency of guest visits, and any associated fees or charges may be specified by the club.
- Sponsored Guests: Non-members who wish to access the club and its facilities may require sponsorship by a member. The member usually assumes responsibility for the conduct and adherence to club rules by their sponsored guests.
It’s important to contact Turnberry Golf Club directly or visit their official website to obtain the most accurate and up-to-date information