Del Mar Country Club is a private, member-owned country club located in Rancho Santa Fe, California, USA. It was established in 2001 and spans over 17 acres of picturesque land, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Joseph Lee, a driving range, a short game practice area, and a putting green. The club is known for its luxurious facilities and top-notch service. Membership at Del Mar Country Club is by invitation only and is limited to 325 families.
Del Mar Country Club History and Founding
Del Mar Country Club was founded in 2001 by several prominent businessmen, including David Copley, a former owner of The San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper. The club was built on the former site of the Stratford Square shopping center, which was purchased by the club’s founders for $33 million.
The club was designed to be an exclusive, members-only country club that would cater to the affluent residents of Rancho Santa Fe and the surrounding areas. The founders invested heavily in the club’s facilities, including the 18-hole golf course, which was designed by Joseph Lee and features rolling hills, scenic vistas, and challenging play.
The club’s main clubhouse was designed by architect Robert Altevers and features Spanish colonial-style architecture, with red-tiled roofs, stucco walls, and wrought-iron accents. The clubhouse includes a restaurant, a bar, a banquet hall, and several private dining rooms.
From its inception, Del Mar Country Club has been known for its luxurious amenities and impeccable service, as well as its commitment to environmental sustainability. The club has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives, including the use of recycled water for irrigation, the installation of solar panels to reduce energy consumption, and the preservation of wildlife habitats on the property.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Del Mar Country Club
Del Mar Country Club has hosted several prominent golf tournaments over the years. One of the most notable events held at the club is the San Diego Junior Masters, which brings together some of the best junior golfers in the region to compete for a prestigious title.
In addition, the club has hosted several high-profile charity tournaments, including the annual Taste of Rancho Santa Fe golf tournament, which raises funds for local organizations and features gourmet food and wine tastings.
Another famous golf tournament held at Del Mar Country Club is the LPGA Samsung World Championship, which was held at the club in 2002 and 2003. The tournament featured some of the best women’s golfers in the world, including Annika Sorenstam, Karrie Webb, and Se Ri Pak.
The Del Mar Country Club has also hosted a number of US Open Qualifying tournaments, allowing aspiring golfers the opportunity to compete for a spot in the prestigious US Open championship. These tournaments attract both professional and amateur golfers from all over the country and provide a unique opportunity for players to showcase their skills on one of the most beautiful courses in Southern California.
Del Mar Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private, member-owned country club, Del Mar Country Club does not publicly disclose its membership costs and dues. However, membership at the club is known to be exclusive and expensive, with initiation fees and annual dues that can run into the six figures.
The estimated initiation fee for membership at Del Mar Country Club is around $250,000, with rumored annual dues of approximately $20,000. In addition, members are also required to spend a minimum amount on food and beverages each year, which can range from $2,000 to $4,000 depending on the membership category.
Del Mar Country Club Amenities
Del Mar Country Club offers its members a wide range of luxurious amenities, including:
- Golf: The club features an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Joseph Lee, as well as a driving range, a short game practice area, and a putting green. The course is known for its scenic beauty, challenging play, and excellent course conditions.
- Tennis: The club has six lighted tennis courts, including four hard courts and two clay courts. The tennis program offers lessons, clinics, and tournaments for all ages and skill levels.
- Fitness: The club’s fitness center features state-of-the-art equipment, including cardio machines, weight machines, and free weights. Personal training and group fitness classes are also available.
- Swimming: The country club has a heated swimming pool and spa, as well as a children’s wading pool. The pool area includes poolside dining and beverage service.
- Spa: The club’s spa offers a variety of services, including massages, facials, and body treatments. The spa features private treatment rooms, a relaxation lounge, and a steam room.
- Dining: The club has several dining options, including a formal dining room, a casual grill, a bar, and a patio overlooking the golf course. The club’s culinary team offers a variety of menu options, ranging from classic American cuisine to international flavors.
- Events: Del Mar Country Club hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine tastings, and concerts. The club also offers event planning and catering services for weddings, corporate events, and other special occasions.
Del Mar Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Del Mar Country Club is known for its exceptional event venues and catering services. The club offers a variety of indoor and outdoor spaces that can be customized to meet the needs of any event, from weddings and corporate events to intimate gatherings and social celebrations.
The club’s main clubhouse features several private dining rooms, including the Rancho Room, which can accommodate up to 200 guests for a seated dinner, and the Fairway Room, which offers stunning views of the golf course and can seat up to 80 guests. The club also has a spacious outdoor patio, which is perfect for cocktail receptions, outdoor dining, and other events.
In addition to its event venues, Del Mar Country Club is also known for its exceptional dining options. The club’s culinary team uses locally-sourced ingredients to create a variety of menu options, ranging from classic American cuisine to international flavors. The club’s main restaurant, the Elysian, features a formal dining room and a casual grill, both of which offer spectacular views of the golf course.
The club’s dining options also include a bar, which serves a variety of craft cocktails, wines, and beers, as well as poolside dining and beverage service. Members can also enjoy private dining and catering services, which can be customized to meet the needs of any event or occasion.
Del Mar Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Del Mar Country Club has a strict dress code policy that is enforced throughout the club’s facilities. The dress code policy is intended to maintain the club’s atmosphere of elegance and sophistication and to ensure that all members and guests feel comfortable and appropriately attired.
The dress code policy requires that all members and guests adhere to the following guidelines:
- Golf Course and Practice Facilities: Collared shirts are required for men, and women must wear shirts with a collar or sleeves. Shorts must be Bermuda length or longer, and denim, gym shorts, and athletic wear are not permitted. Proper golf shoes with soft spikes are required on the course.
- Tennis Courts: Tennis attire is required, including collared shirts, tennis skirts or shorts, and tennis shoes.
- Clubhouse: Business or business casual attire is required in the clubhouse. Denim, shorts, and athletic wear are not permitted.
In addition to its dress code policy, Del Mar Country Club also has a strict guest policy. Guests must be accompanied by a member at all times, and must comply with the club’s dress code policy. The number of guests that a member may bring to the club is limited, and advance reservations are required for all guests. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests comply with all club policies and procedures.