La Grange Country Club is a private, member-owned club located in La Grange, Illinois. The club was founded in 1899 and has since been a gathering place for members and their guests to enjoy golf, tennis, swimming, dining, and social events.
The golf course at La Grange Country Club is a challenging 18-hole course that was designed by noted golf course architect Herbert James Tweedie. The course has hosted several prestigious events over the years, including the Western Open and the U.S. Senior Open Qualifying.
In addition to golf, the club has six outdoor tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a fitness center. The club also offers a variety of dining options, including formal dining in the clubhouse and casual dining by the pool.
Membership to La Grange Country Club is by invitation only and requires a nomination by a current member. The club has a limited number of memberships available, and the process for becoming a member can be lengthy.
La Grange Country Club History and Founding
La Grange Country Club was founded in 1899 by a group of local businessmen and professionals who were interested in creating a social and recreational club in the growing community of La Grange, Illinois. The club’s original site was a nine-hole golf course located on 60 acres of land leased from the estate of Colonel Frank O. Lowden, who later served as the governor of Illinois.
In 1919, the club purchased its current location on La Grange Road, which was then a rural area on the outskirts of the village. A new clubhouse was constructed, and the golf course was expanded to 18 holes, with design work by Herbert James Tweedie.
Over the years, the club has hosted numerous golf tournaments and social events, including the Western Open and the U.S. Senior Open Qualifying. The club has also been recognized for its commitment to environmental stewardship and was awarded the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program for Golf Courses certification in 2007.
Today, La Grange Country Club is a private, member-owned club with a rich history and tradition of excellence in golf, tennis, swimming, and dining. The club remains a vibrant part of the La Grange community and is committed to providing its members with a first-class experience in all aspects of club life.
Famous Golf Tournament held at La Grange Country Club
La Grange Country Club has hosted several notable golf tournaments over the years, including the Western Open, one of the oldest and most prestigious golf tournaments in the United States. The Western Open was first played at the club in 1910, and the event returned to La Grange several times over the years, most recently in 1962.
The Western Open was one of the premier events on the PGA Tour for many years, and it attracted many of the top players in the world. Some of the legendary golfers who have won the Western Open include Walter Hagen, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, and Jack Nicklaus.
In addition to the Western Open, La Grange Country Club has also hosted other important golf tournaments, such as the U.S. Senior Open Qualifying. The club’s challenging 18-hole golf course, which was designed by Herbert James Tweedie, has been recognized for its classic design and strategic layout, and it continues to be a popular destination for golfers of all skill levels.
Overall, La Grange Country Club has a rich history of hosting important golf tournaments, and its golf course has been recognized as one of the premier courses in the Chicago area.
La Grange Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private club, La Grange Country Club does not publicly disclose its membership costs and dues. However, membership to the club is by invitation only, and prospective members must be nominated by a current member and go through a rigorous membership approval process.
However, it is widely known that membership to the club is by invitation only and is limited to a select number of individuals and families. However, estimated initiation fees of approximately $10,000 – $100,000 and rumored annual fees of around $1,000 – $10,000, though these are merely speculation, of course, as the costs are kept private.
La Grange Country Club Amenities
La Grange Country Club offers a variety of amenities to its members, including:
- Golf Course: The club’s 18-hole golf course, designed by Herbert James Tweedie, is a challenging and scenic layout that has hosted numerous prestigious golf tournaments over the years.
- Tennis Courts: The country club has six outdoor tennis courts that are available for use by members and their guests. The courts are well-maintained and offer a range of playing surfaces.
- Swimming Pool: La Grange Country Club has a large swimming pool that is open during the summer months. The pool area also features a wading pool for children and a poolside cafe.
- Fitness Center: The club has a fully-equipped fitness center that includes cardio and strength training equipment.
- Dining: The club offers a variety of dining options, including formal dining in the clubhouse and casual dining by the pool. The club’s executive chef creates a seasonal menu using locally-sourced ingredients.
- Social Events: La Grange Country Club hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine dinners, and themed parties.
- Junior Programs: The club offers a range of programs and activities for children of all ages, including junior golf and tennis programs, swimming lessons, and summer camps.
Overall, La Grange Country Club provides its members with a wide range of amenities and services designed to enhance their overall club experience.
La Grange Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
La Grange Country Club offers a variety of event spaces and dining options for its members and their guests. Here is some information about the club’s event facilities and dining options:
- Ballroom: The club’s grand ballroom is a spacious and elegant setting that can accommodate up to 300 guests. It features a built-in dance floor, stage, and audiovisual equipment.
- Private Dining Rooms: The club has several private dining rooms that are perfect for smaller gatherings and business meetings. These rooms can accommodate groups of 10 to 80 guests.
- Outdoor Spaces: La Grange Country Club has several outdoor spaces that can be used for events, including a patio, terrace, and pool area.
- Formal Dining Room: The club’s formal dining room offers an elegant atmosphere for dinner, with white tablecloths, fine china, and crystal stemware. The menu features classic American cuisine with a modern twist, and changes seasonally to highlight fresh, locally-sourced ingredients.
- Casual Dining: For a more relaxed dining experience, members can enjoy the club’s casual dining options, which include a poolside cafe and outdoor grill. These menus feature lighter fare, such as sandwiches, salads, and burgers.
- Special Events: La Grange Country Club hosts a variety of special events throughout the year, such as wine dinners, holiday brunches, and themed dinners. These events offer unique menus and dining experiences that showcase the club’s culinary talents.
Overall, La Grange Country Club offers a range of event spaces and dining options that can accommodate a variety of occasions and preferences. The club’s experienced staff can work with members to customize menus and décor to ensure that every event is memorable and special.
La Grange Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
La Grange Country Club has a dress code that is designed to maintain a high standard of appearance and respect for the club’s traditions. Here is an overview of the dress code policy:
- Men must wear collared shirts, and shorts must be Bermuda length or longer.
- Women must wear appropriate golf attire, such as golf shirts or blouses and golf skirts or shorts.
- Jeans, cutoffs, t-shirts, and gym attire are not permitted on the golf course.
- Business attire is required in the clubhouse, which includes collared shirts and slacks or dress shorts for men, and dresses, skirts, or slacks for women.
- Denim is not permitted in the clubhouse, except for designated casual events.
- Members are responsible for their guests’ adherence to the dress code policy.
- Guests are expected to dress appropriately for the occasion and the club’s standards.
- Guests are limited to a maximum of four visits per year, and must be accompanied by a member.
Overall, La Grange Country Club’s dress code policy is designed to maintain a certain level of decorum and respect for the club’s traditions. Members are expected to adhere to the policy and to ensure that their guests do the same.