Carmel Country Club is a private, member-owned country club located in Charlotte, North Carolina. The club was founded in 1947 and has since become a premier destination for golf, tennis, swimming, and social activities.
The club’s golf course is a championship 18-hole course designed by Ellis Maples and has hosted numerous PGA and LPGA events. In addition to golf, the club features 14 tennis courts, including six clay courts and eight hard courts, as well as a state-of-the-art fitness center and a full-service spa.
Carmel Country Club also boasts a variety of dining options, from casual poolside fare to fine dining in the club’s elegant dining room. The club is known for its exceptional service and amenities, and membership is available to individuals and families who meet the club’s membership requirements.
Overall, Carmel Country Club is a highly regarded institution in the Charlotte community, offering its members a wealth of opportunities for recreation, socializing, and relaxation in a beautiful setting.
Carmel Country Club History and Founding
Carmel Country Club was founded in 1947 by a group of Charlotte businessmen who were interested in creating a private, member-owned club where they could enjoy golf, tennis, swimming, and social activities. The club was named after the nearby Carmel Road, which runs adjacent to the club’s property.
The original club facilities were modest, consisting of a small clubhouse, a nine-hole golf course, and a few tennis courts. However, over the years, the club grew and expanded, adding new facilities and amenities to meet the needs of its members.
One of the most significant additions to the club came in the 1960s when renowned golf course architect Ellis Maples was hired to design an 18-hole championship golf course. The new course was a huge success, and it quickly became one of the premier golf destinations in the region, hosting numerous professional tournaments over the years.
In the decades that followed, Carmel Country Club continued to expand and improve its facilities, adding new tennis courts, a swimming pool, a fitness center, and a spa. Today, the club is widely regarded as one of the top country clubs in the country, offering its members a wide range of world-class amenities and services in a beautiful, serene setting.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Carmel Country Club
Carmel Country Club has hosted several high-profile golf tournaments over the years. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- PGA Championship (1961): The 1961 PGA Championship was the first major golf tournament held at Carmel Country Club. It was won by Jerry Barber, who defeated Don January in a playoff.
- Kemper Open (1973-1975): The Kemper Open was a regular stop on the PGA Tour in the 1970s, and it was held at Carmel Country Club from 1973 to 1975. Notable winners during this time included Tom Weiskopf, Johnny Miller, and Lee Trevino.
- U.S. Women’s Open (1994): The 1994 U.S. Women’s Open was held at Carmel Country Club and was won by Patty Sheehan, who defeated Tammie Green in a playoff.
- NCAA Men’s Golf Championship (2010): In 2010, Carmel Country Club hosted the NCAA Men’s Golf Championship, which was won by Augusta State University.
- Wells Fargo Championship (2003-2009, 2011-2016): The Wells Fargo Championship is a regular stop on the PGA Tour, and it was held at Carmel Country Club from 2003 to 2009 and again from 2011 to 2016. Notable winners during this time included Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk, and Rickie Fowler.
Overall, Carmel Country Club has a long and proud history of hosting top-level golf tournaments, and it remains a popular destination for both professional and amateur golfers alike.
Carmel Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private, member-owned country club, the membership costs and dues at Carmel Country Club are not publicly disclosed. However, it is widely rumored that the initiation fee for new members is in the six-figure range and that annual dues and fees can also be quite expensive.
However, it is widely known that membership to the club is by invitation only and is limited to a select number of individuals and families. However, estimated initiation fees of approximately $10,000 – $100,000 and rumored annual fees of around $1,000 – $10,000, though these are merely speculation, of course, as the costs are kept private.
Carmel Country Club Amenities
Carmel Country Club offers a wide range of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf: Carmel Country Club has a championship 18-hole golf course designed by Ellis Maples, featuring beautiful fairways, challenging greens, and stunning views of the surrounding landscape. The club also has a practice facility, a pro shop, and a team of experienced golf professionals who offer lessons and clinics for all skill levels.
- Tennis: The country club has 14 tennis courts, including six clay courts and eight hard courts, as well as a team of experienced tennis professionals who offer lessons, clinics, and social events throughout the year.
- Swimming: Carmel Country Club has a large outdoor pool, complete with a waterslide, a diving board, and a separate children’s area. The club also offers swim lessons and swim teams for children and adults.
- Fitness: The club has a state-of-the-art fitness center, featuring a variety of cardio and strength-training equipment, as well as a full schedule of fitness classes, including yoga, Pilates, and spin.
- Spa: Carmel Country Club has a full-service spa, offering a wide range of massage, facial, and body treatments, as well as salon services such as haircuts, styling, and manicures.
- Dining: The club has several dining options, including a casual poolside grill, a cozy bar and lounge, and an elegant dining room that serves upscale cuisine. The club also hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine dinners, and themed events.
Overall, Carmel Country Club offers its members a wealth of opportunities for recreation, relaxation, and socializing in a beautiful, welcoming setting.
Carmel Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Carmel Country Club offers a variety of event spaces and dining options for its members and their guests. Here is some information about the club’s event facilities and dining options:
- Event Spaces: Carmel Country Club has several event spaces that can accommodate groups of various sizes and types of events. The club’s Grand Ballroom is a popular choice for weddings and other formal events, and can accommodate up to 500 guests. The club also has several smaller event spaces, including a boardroom, a private dining room, and a terrace overlooking the golf course.
- Catering: The club’s culinary team offers a wide range of catering options for events, from casual buffets and barbecues to formal plated dinners and wine tastings. The club’s experienced event planners can help members plan and execute events of all sizes and types, from weddings and corporate events to golf tournaments and family reunions.
- Dining Options: Carmel Country Club has several dining options for its members and their guests. The club’s main dining room offers upscale cuisine in an elegant setting, and is open for lunch and dinner. The club’s grill room is a more casual option, offering a variety of sandwiches, salads, and other light fare. The club also has a bar and lounge area that is perfect for cocktails or a quick bite to eat.
- Special Events: In addition to regular dining and event services, Carmel Country Club also hosts a variety of special events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine dinners, and themed events. These events are a great way for members to socialize and meet new people in a fun and festive setting.
Overall, Carmel Country Club’s event facilities and dining options are designed to meet the needs of its members and their guests, offering a wide range of options for all types of events and occasions.
Carmel Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Carmel Country Club has a dress code that is designed to maintain a certain level of decorum and professionalism. Here is an overview of the club’s dress code:
- Golf Course: On the golf course, men are required to wear collared shirts and either Bermuda shorts or slacks. Women are required to wear appropriate golf attire, which includes slacks, skirts, shorts, and golf-specific tops. Denim, cut-offs, and athletic attire are not allowed on the golf course.
- Tennis Courts: On the tennis courts, players are required to wear appropriate tennis attire, which includes tennis-specific shoes, shorts, skirts, and tops. Denim and athletic attire are not allowed on the tennis courts.
- Dining Areas: In the dining areas, men are required to wear collared shirts and either Bermuda shorts or slacks. Women are required to wear appropriate attire, which includes dresses, skirts, slacks, and blouses. Athletic attire, swimwear, and beachwear are not allowed in the dining areas.
Guests of members are welcome at Carmel Country Club, but they must abide by the club’s dress code policies. Members are responsible for ensuring that their guests are aware of and comply with the club’s dress code.
Overall, Carmel Country Club’s dress code policies are designed to maintain a certain level of elegance and professionalism throughout the club’s facilities. Members and guests are expected to adhere to these policies in order to create a pleasant and respectful atmosphere for all.