Disclaimer: CountryClubMag.com is an independent resource and is not associated with any of the clubs on this website. Club initiation and membership cost information are estimates only and should not be relied upon for making club membership decisions.
Welcome to the Canterbury Golf Club, a hidden gem nestled in the charming community of Beachwood, Ohio. This prestigious club has been a beacon of golfing excellence for decades, offering members and guests an unparalleled golfing experience in a serene and picturesque setting.
With its lush fairways, meticulously manicured greens, and a reputation for warm hospitality, Canterbury Golf Club is the ideal destination for golf enthusiasts seeking a timeless blend of tradition and modern excellence. Whether you’re a seasoned golfer or a newcomer to the game, Canterbury promises a remarkable journey through the world of golf on the shores of Beachwood, Ohio.
Canterbury Golf Club History and Founding
Canterbury Golf Club, located in Beachwood, Ohio, boasts a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1921. The club was established by a group of prominent local businessmen and golf enthusiasts who shared a vision for creating a top-tier golfing destination in the heart of Ohio. Among the club’s founders were Thomas S. Beckwith, Harold H. Beckwith, Frederick W. White, and Charles H. Graves, all of whom played pivotal roles in shaping Canterbury’s legacy.
The club’s founders enlisted the renowned golf course architect Herbert Strong to design their dream course. Herbert Strong, a notable figure in early 20th-century golf course design, was responsible for crafting a layout that would later become a masterpiece. Strong’s design incorporated the natural beauty of the Beachwood landscape, blending challenging holes with stunning views and expertly designed fairways. His architectural expertise ensured that Canterbury Golf Club would offer a challenging yet enjoyable golfing experience for generations to come.
Over the years, Canterbury Golf Club has not only retained its original charm but has also evolved into a premier destination for golf enthusiasts, hosting numerous prestigious tournaments and events. The club’s commitment to excellence and its historic ties to golf’s golden age continue to make it a standout course in Ohio and a revered institution among golf aficionados.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Canterbury Golf Club
Canterbury Golf Club in Beachwood, Ohio is a private golf club that has hosted many famous golf tournaments over the years, including:
- The U.S. Open (1973 and 2009)
- The PGA Championship (1940 and 1976)
- The U.S. Senior Open (1985)
- The Senior PGA Championship (1998)
- The U.S. Amateur (1932, 1949, and 1966)
- The U.S. Open is the most prestigious golf tournament in the United States, and Canterbury Golf Club is one of only a handful of courses to have hosted it multiple times. The 1973 U.S. Open at Canterbury was won by Johnny Miller, and the 2009 U.S. Open was won by Lucas Glover.
- The PGA Championship is the second-most prestigious golf tournament in the United States, and Canterbury Golf Club is one of only a handful of courses to have hosted it multiple times. The 1940 PGA Championship at Canterbury was won by Byron Nelson, and the 1976 PGA Championship was won by Dave Stockton.
- The U.S. Senior Open is a major golf championship for male golfers over the age of 50. The 1985 U.S. Senior Open at Canterbury was won by Lee Trevino.
- The Senior PGA Championship is a major golf championship for male golfers over the age of 50. The 1998 Senior PGA Championship at Canterbury was won by Gary Player.
- The U.S. Amateur is the most prestigious amateur golf tournament in the United States. Canterbury Golf Club has hosted the U.S. Amateur three times, in 1932, 1949, and 1966. The 1932 U.S. Amateur at Canterbury was won by Johnny Goodman, the 1949 U.S. Amateur was won by Charlie Coe, and the 1966 U.S. Amateur was won by Bob Dickson.
Canterbury Golf Club is a challenging and beautiful course that has hosted some of the greatest golfers in the world. It is a true test of golfing skill, and it is no wonder that it has been the site of so many famous golf tournaments.
Canterbury Golf Club Membership Costs and Dues
he estimated and rumored membership costs and dues at Canterbury Golf Club in Beachwood, Ohio are as follows:
Estimated Membership Costs
- Initiation fee: $50,000
- Monthly dues: $1,000
Rumored Membership Costs
- Initiation fee: $100,000
- Monthly dues: $2,000
It is important to note that these are just estimates and rumors, and the actual membership costs and dues may vary.
Canterbury Golf Club offers a variety of membership options, including:
- Full Membership: This is the most comprehensive membership option and includes full access to all of the club’s amenities, including the golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, dining facilities, and social events.
- Golf Membership: This membership option is limited to golf and includes full access to the golf course, practice facilities, and clubhouse.
- Social Membership: This membership option is for those who want to enjoy the social aspects of the club without having to play golf. Social members have access to the clubhouse, dining facilities, and social events.
Members of Canterbury Golf Club enjoy a number of benefits, including:
- Access to a challenging and well-maintained golf course
- Practice facilities, including a driving range, putting green, and chipping green
- Swimming pool
- Tennis courts
- Dining facilities
- Clubhouse with social areas and event space
- A variety of social events and activities
Canterbury Golf Club is a private club, and membership is limited.
Canterbury Golf Club Amenities
Canterbury Golf Club in Beachwood, Ohio, offers a range of amenities and services to enhance the overall experience of its members and guests.
Here are some of the typical amenities you might find at a prestigious golf club like Canterbury:
- Championship Golf Course: Canterbury Golf Club is renowned for its meticulously maintained 18-hole golf course designed by Herbert Strong. The course offers a challenging and enjoyable golfing experience.
- Practice Facilities: Many golf clubs provide practice facilities, including driving ranges, putting greens, and short game areas, to help golfers improve their skills.
- Clubhouse: The clubhouse often serves as the social hub of the club, offering dining options, event spaces, and areas to relax and socialize.
- Dining: Fine dining and casual dining options are typically available, allowing members and guests to enjoy a variety of culinary experiences.
- Pro Shop: A well-stocked pro shop provides golfers with access to equipment, apparel, and accessories.
- Golf Instruction: Many clubs offer golf instruction from PGA professionals to help members improve their game.
- Tennis: Some clubs offer tennis facilities and may have tennis courts for members to enjoy.
- Fitness Center: A fitness center or gym is common at many golf clubs, allowing members to stay active and fit.
- Swimming Pool: Some country clubs have swimming pools, which can be a great way to cool off and relax, especially in the summer months.
- Social Events: Golf clubs often host a variety of social events and gatherings, including member tournaments, parties, and special occasions.
- Locker Rooms: Modern locker rooms provide convenience for members, offering storage, changing facilities, and often additional amenities.
- Guest Accommodations: Some clubs may offer guest accommodations or lodging options for out-of-town visitors.
- Private Events: Event spaces are often available for private functions, such as weddings, corporate meetings, and banquets.
- Member Services: Clubs typically offer a range of member services, such as bag storage, club repair, and more.
Canterbury Golf Club Event Information and Dining Options
Canterbury Golf Club offers a variety of events and celebrations that members and guests can enjoy throughout the year.
Here are some common types of events and celebrations that you might experience at a prestigious golf club like Canterbury:
- Golf Tournaments: Canterbury hosts various golf tournaments, including member-only tournaments, invitational events, and potentially professional tournaments. These are often a highlight for golf enthusiasts.
- Holiday Celebrations: The club may organize special events around holidays, such as New Year’s Eve parties, Valentine’s Day dinners, Easter brunches, and Fourth of July festivities.
- Themed Parties: Themed parties are a fun way to bring members together. These events could have specific themes like a Hawaiian luau, 1920s jazz night, or a masquerade ball.
- Social Mixers: Social mixers provide an opportunity for members to connect and network. They can include cocktail hours, wine tastings, or casual gatherings.
- Private Events: Canterbury Golf Club may have event spaces available for hosting private celebrations like weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, and corporate gatherings.
- Golf Clinics and Workshops: For those looking to improve their golf skills, the club may offer golf clinics, instructional workshops, and lessons with golf professionals.
- Member Appreciation Events: Clubs often hold events to show gratitude to their members. This can include member-only outings, receptions, or exclusive dining experiences.
- Junior Golf Programs: Junior golfers may have their own events and programs, including golf camps, tournaments, and clinics designed for young players.
- Charity Events: Some clubs host charity golf tournaments and fundraising events to support local causes and charities.
- Club Championships: Canterbury may organize annual club championships where members compete to earn club bragging rights in various divisions.
- Culinary Events: The club may offer special dining events such as wine tastings, chef’s tasting dinners, or gourmet dining experiences.
- Ladies and Men’s Days: Weekly or monthly ladies’ and men’s days are common at golf clubs, offering members of each gender their own organized golf events.
- Family-Focused Events: Family-oriented events might include family golf days, picnics, and activities that cater to both adults and children.
Canterbury Golf Club typically offers a range of dining options within its clubhouse to cater to the culinary preferences of its members and guests.
Here are some common types of dining experiences you might find at Canterbury Golf Club:
- Fine Dining: The clubhouse often features a fine dining restaurant where members and guests can enjoy upscale, gourmet cuisine. This is an ideal setting for special occasions and formal dining.
- Casual Dining: In addition to fine dining, many golf clubs have more relaxed dining areas or grill rooms. These spaces provide a comfortable and less formal environment for enjoying meals.
- Bar and Lounge: Bars and lounges within the clubhouse are great places to socialize, unwind, and enjoy a variety of beverages, including cocktails, beer, and wine.
- Outdoor Dining: Some clubs, especially those with picturesque views, offer outdoor dining options. Patios or terraces overlooking the golf course can provide a delightful setting for meals.
- Buffets and Brunch: Sunday brunches and special buffets may be offered on certain occasions, providing a wide selection of dishes.
- Themed Dining Events: Canterbury Golf Club may host themed dining events or culinary experiences, such as wine tastings, chef’s tables, and special holiday dinners.
- Family-Friendly Dining: Family-focused dining options cater to both adults and children, ensuring that everyone in the family can enjoy a meal at the club.
- Private Dining: For special events and private gatherings, the club may offer private dining rooms or event spaces with customized menus.
- On-the-Go Options: Some golf clubs have snack bars or grab-and-go options for members who are looking for a quick meal or snack before or after a round of golf.
Canterbury Golf Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Golf clubs often have specific dress codes and guest policies to maintain a certain level of decorum and uphold the traditions of the sport.
Here’s a general idea of what to expect:
Golfers and visitors are typically expected to adhere to a dress code that reflects the club’s standards and etiquette. Common elements of a golf club dress code may include:
- Golf Attire: Golfers are usually required to wear appropriate golf attire, including collared shirts, slacks or golf shorts, golf skirts or skorts, and golf shoes with soft spikes. Tank tops, jeans, and athletic wear are often discouraged.
- Proper Footwear: Golf shoes with soft spikes are usually required to maintain the condition of the golf course. Metal spikes are typically not allowed.
- Headwear: Many clubs permit appropriate headwear such as caps or visors. Hats should typically be worn with the bill facing forward.
- Shirts Tucked In: Shirts are generally expected to be tucked in while on the course.
- Jackets or Sweaters: For fine dining or certain events, jackets, sweaters, or other specified attire may be required.
The guest policy at Canterbury Golf Club often includes the following guidelines:
- Member Sponsorship: Guests are typically required to be sponsored by a club member. The sponsoring member may be responsible for making reservations and ensuring that guests adhere to club rules and policies.
- Limited Guest Access: Golf clubs may limit the number of times a guest can play in a specific time period to ensure that the club remains primarily for its members.
- Registration and Fees: Guests are usually required to register at the clubhouse or pro shop before playing. They may also be subject to guest fees, which can vary based on the club’s policies.
- Etiquette and Behavior: Guests are expected to adhere to the club’s code of conduct, showing respect for the course, other golfers, and club facilities.
Canterbury Golf Club stands as a revered institution within the golfing world, offering an exceptional golfing experience steeped in tradition and elegance. Its rich history, championship-caliber course, and wide array of amenities and events make it a destination of choice for golf enthusiasts and social gatherings. While specific details regarding membership costs, dining options, and policies may evolve over time, the timeless appeal of Canterbury as a premier golfing destination remains constant.
With its commitment to excellence and hospitality, Canterbury Golf Club continues to be a shining gem on the fairways of Beachwood, Ohio, welcoming all who seek a blend of classic charm and modern luxury in their golfing experiences.