The Glen View Club is a private golf club located in Golf, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. The club was founded in 1897 and features a championship 18-hole golf course designed by noted golf course architect Tom Fazio.
In addition to golf, the Glen View Club offers a range of amenities for its members, including tennis courts, a swimming pool, a fitness center, and dining facilities. The club is known for its rich history and tradition, as well as its commitment to providing a high level of service and excellence to its members.
Membership at the Glen View Club is by invitation only and requires a nomination and sponsorship by current members. If you are interested in becoming a member, you can contact the club directly for more information on the membership process and requirements.
Glen View Club History and Founding
The Glen View Club was founded in 1897 by a group of prominent businessmen and residents of the Glenview area, who shared a passion for golf and socializing. The club’s original nine-hole golf course was located on what is now the Glenview Naval Air Station and was designed by noted golf course architect H.J. Tweedie.
In 1912, the club purchased its current property in Golf, Illinois, and commissioned renowned golf course architect Donald Ross to design an 18-hole championship golf course. The course opened for play in 1914 and quickly gained a reputation as one of the finest golf courses in the country.
Over the years, the Glen View Club has hosted numerous prestigious golf tournaments and events, including the Western Open, the U.S. Senior Amateur Championship, and the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship. The club has also played a significant role in the development of golf in the Chicago area and has been instrumental in the formation of the Western Golf Association and the Illinois Golf Association.
Throughout its history, the Glen View Club has remained true to its founding principles of promoting golf and social interaction among its members. Today, the club continues to thrive as a private club dedicated to providing its members with exceptional golf, dining, and social experiences in a beautiful and historic setting.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Glen View Club
The Glen View Club has a long history of hosting prestigious golf tournaments, including several professional and amateur events. One of the most notable tournaments held at the club was the Western Open, which was played at Glen View 14 times between 1906 and 1962.
The Western Open was one of the oldest and most prestigious professional golf tournaments in the United States and was won by many of the game’s greatest players, including Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and Arnold Palmer. The tournament was known for its challenging courses and deep fields and was a favorite among players and fans alike.
In addition to the Western Open, the Glen View Club has also hosted several amateur tournaments, including the U.S. Senior Amateur Championship in 1996 and the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship in 1962. These events brought together some of the best amateur golfers in the country and showcased the club’s championship course and facilities.
Overall, the Glen View Club’s rich history of hosting top-level golf tournaments is a testament to its commitment to the game of golf and to providing its members with exceptional golf experiences.
Glen View Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private club, the Glen View Club does not publicly disclose its membership costs and dues. Membership fees and dues can vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of membership, the initiation fee, and the annual dues.
However, it is widely known that membership to the club is by invitation only and is limited to a select number of individuals and families. However, estimated initiation fees of approximately $10,000 – $100,000 and rumored annual fees of around $1,000 – $10,000, though these are merely speculation, of course, as the costs are kept private.
Glen View Club Amenities
The Glen View Club offers a range of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf Course: The club’s championship 18-hole golf course was designed by renowned golf course architect Tom Fazio and features challenging holes, beautiful landscaping, and state-of-the-art facilities.
- Practice Facilities: The country club has a full range of practice facilities, including a driving range, putting green, and chipping area, to help members improve their game.
- Tennis Courts: The club has several outdoor tennis courts, as well as indoor tennis facilities, for members to enjoy year-round.
- Swimming Pool: The club’s outdoor swimming pool is a great place to relax and cool off during the summer months.
- Fitness Center: The club’s fitness center is equipped with the latest cardio and strength training equipment, as well as personal training services and group fitness classes.
- Dining: The club offers several dining options, including a formal dining room, a casual grill room, and a patio overlooking the golf course.
- Social Events: The club hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine tastings, and live entertainment.
- Private Event Spaces: The club also offers private event spaces for weddings, business meetings, and other special events.
Overall, the Glen View Club’s amenities are designed to provide members with a wide range of activities and experiences and to help create a sense of community and camaraderie among its members.
Glen View Club Event Information and Dining Options
The Glen View Club offers a variety of event spaces and dining options for its members, including:
- Formal Dining Room: The formal dining room features an elegant setting for fine dining, with views of the golf course and attentive service from the club’s professional staff.
- Grill Room: The club’s casual grill room offers a more relaxed atmosphere for dining, with a full bar and a menu of classic American cuisine.
- Patio: The patio is a great place to enjoy a meal or a drink while taking in the beautiful views of the golf course.
- Private Event Spaces: The club has several private event spaces, including a ballroom, a banquet hall, and several smaller meeting rooms, that can be reserved for weddings, business meetings, and other special events.
- Social Events: The club hosts a variety of social events throughout the year, including holiday parties, wine tastings, and live entertainment, which provide members with opportunities to connect and socialize with other members.
Overall, the Glen View Club’s dining options and event spaces are designed to provide members with exceptional service and a range of options to suit their needs and preferences. Whether members are looking for a formal dining experience, a casual meal with friends, or a private event space for a special occasion, the club has something to offer for everyone.
Glen View Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
The Glen View Club has a dress code policy in place to maintain a certain level of decorum and respect for the club’s traditions. The dress code policy may vary depending on the area of the club and the time of day, but generally, the following guidelines apply:
- Golf Course: On the golf course, appropriate golf attire is required at all times, including collared shirts, golf pants or shorts, and golf shoes. Denim, cargo shorts, and athletic wear are not permitted.
- Dining Areas: In the dining areas, business casual attire is required, including collared shirts and slacks or dress shorts for men, and skirts or dresses, dress slacks, or dress shorts for women. Denim, athletic wear, and flip-flops are not permitted.
- Clubhouse: In the clubhouse, members and guests are expected to dress in a manner appropriate to the occasion and time of day.
The Glen View Club also has a guest policy in place that requires members to accompany their guests at all times. Guests are expected to follow the same dress code policies as members, and are not allowed to use the club’s facilities without the presence of a sponsoring member.
Overall, the Glen View Club’s dress code and guest policy are designed to maintain the club’s traditions and ensure a respectful and welcoming environment for all members and guests.