Beverly Country Club is a private country club located in the Beverly neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, Illinois. The club was founded in 1908 and is known for its championship golf course, designed by legendary golf course architect Donald Ross. The course has hosted several major golf tournaments, including the Western Open, the U.S. Amateur, and the U.S. Senior Open.
In addition to golf, Beverly Country Club offers a range of amenities for its members, including tennis courts, a swimming pool, a fitness center, and several dining options. The club also has banquet and meeting facilities available for private events.
Beverly Country Club is considered one of the premier country clubs in the Midwest and has a rich history of hosting notable events and attracting prominent members.
Beverly Country Club History and Founding
Beverly Country Club was founded in 1908 by a group of businessmen and prominent residents from the Beverly neighborhood on the south side of Chicago. The club’s original location was on the grounds of the historic Givins Castle, which was owned by the club’s first president, Robert Givins.
The original clubhouse was a modest building, but over the years, the club grew in size and prominence. In 1916, the club hired legendary golf course architect Donald Ross to design a new championship golf course on a larger parcel of land located a few miles from the original site.
The new course opened in 1919 and quickly gained a reputation as one of the best courses in the Midwest. The club hosted its first major tournament, the Western Open, in 1926, and the tournament returned to Beverly several times over the years.
Throughout the 20th century, Beverly Country Club continued to grow and evolve, adding new amenities and attracting prominent members. In 1983, the club hosted the U.S. Senior Open, which was won by Billy Casper.
Today, Beverly Country Club remains one of the premier country clubs in the Midwest and is recognized as a historic landmark in the Beverly neighborhood.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Beverly Country Club
Beverly Country Club has hosted several major golf tournaments over the years, including the Western Open, the U.S. Amateur, and the U.S. Senior Open. Here are some of the most notable tournaments held at the club:
- Western Open: The Western Open was a professional golf tournament that was played from 1899 to 2006. It was one of the oldest and most prestigious golf tournaments in the United States, and Beverly Country Club hosted the event on seven occasions. Some of the most notable winners at Beverly include Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, and Arnold Palmer.
- U.S. Amateur: The U.S. Amateur is one of the oldest and most prestigious amateur golf tournaments in the world, and Beverly Country Club has hosted the event twice. The first time was in 1931 when Francis Ouimet won the championship. The second time was in 1970 when Lanny Wadkins claimed the title.
- U.S. Senior Open: The U.S. Senior Open is a professional golf tournament for golfers over the age of 50, and Beverly Country Club hosted the event in 1983. The tournament was won by Billy Casper, who shot a final-round 66 to edge out Gary Player by two strokes.
In addition to these major tournaments, Beverly Country Club has also hosted many other notable golf events over the years, including the Illinois Open, the Western Junior, and the Western Women’s Open.
Beverly Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private country club, membership costs and dues at Beverly Country Club are not publicly disclosed and can vary depending on several factors, such as membership category, initiation fees, and annual dues.
However, according to some sources, the initiation fees for Beverly Country Club membership estimated can range from $20,000 to $40,000, with rumored annual dues ranging from $5,000 to $10,000 or more. These are estimates and should be taken as such, as the actual costs and fees may be different and subject to change.
Beverly Country Club Amenities
Beverly Country Club offers a range of amenities for its members, including:
- Championship Golf Course: Beverly Country Club is known for its championship golf course, designed by legendary golf course architect Donald Ross. The course features 18 holes and has hosted several major golf tournaments over the years.
- Practice Facilities: The club’s practice facilities include a driving range, putting greens, and a short game area, allowing members to work on their game in a variety of ways.
- Tennis Courts: Beverly Country Club has several outdoor tennis courts available for members to use, as well as a tennis pro on staff to provide instruction and organize events.
- Swimming Pool: The club’s swimming pool is a popular spot for members and their families during the summer months, offering a place to relax and cool off.
- Fitness Center: The club’s fitness center is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including cardio machines, weight machines, and free weights, as well as personal training services.
- Dining Options: Beverly Country Club has several dining options available, including a formal dining room, a casual grill room, and a patio overlooking the golf course. The country club also offers catering services for private events.
- Banquet and Meeting Facilities: The club has several banquet and meeting rooms available for private events, such as weddings, corporate events, and social gatherings.
Overall, Beverly Country Club offers a wide range of amenities to its members, providing a luxurious and enjoyable experience for those who enjoy golf, tennis, swimming, fitness, and dining.
Beverly Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Beverly Country Club offers a variety of event spaces and dining options for members and their guests. Here is some information on the club’s event facilities and dining options:
- Event Spaces: Beverly Country Club has several event spaces available for private events, including the Grand Ballroom, the Crystal Room, the Garden Room, and the Terrace Room. These spaces can accommodate events of various sizes, from small meetings to large weddings and banquets.
- Catering Services: The club’s catering team can provide a range of services, including hors d’oeuvres, buffets, plated dinners, and desserts. The team can work with clients to create customized menus tailored to their preferences and dietary needs.
- Formal Dining Room: The club’s formal dining room offers an elegant setting for members to enjoy a fine dining experience. The menu features a variety of dishes, from classic American cuisine to international fare, all prepared with fresh, seasonal ingredients.
- Grill Room: The club’s grill room is a more casual dining option, offering a selection of sandwiches, salads, and grilled items. The room also features a bar area where members can enjoy cocktails, beer, and wine.
- Patio: The club’s patio overlooks the golf course and is a popular spot for members to enjoy a meal or a drink during the warmer months. The patio features an outdoor bar and lounge seating, as well as tables for dining.
- Special Events: The club hosts a variety of special events throughout the year, including holiday brunches, wine dinners, and themed events. These events provide members with an opportunity to socialize and enjoy the club’s amenities in a festive atmosphere.
Overall, Beverly Country Club’s event facilities and dining options provide members with a variety of choices for hosting private events or enjoying a meal with family and friends.
Beverly Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
Beverly Country Club has a dress code policy in place that is designed to maintain a certain level of decorum and respect for the club and its members. Here is some information on the club’s dress code and guest policy:
- Dress Code: The club requires its members and guests to dress in a manner that is consistent with the club’s image of a premier private country club. Members and guests are expected to dress in neat and clean attire that is appropriate for the occasion and the time of day. Men are required to wear collared shirts and slacks, while women are required to wear dresses, skirts, or slacks.
- Golf Attire: On the golf course, members and guests are required to wear appropriate golf attire, including collared shirts, slacks or Bermuda shorts, and golf shoes. Denim, cutoffs, and athletic shorts are not permitted on the golf course.
- Guest Policy: Beverly Country Club welcomes guests of its members and requires them to be accompanied by a member at all times. Members are responsible for the behavior of their guests and are expected to ensure that their guests comply with the club’s rules and regulations.
- Cell Phone Policy: The club has a cell phone policy that prohibits the use of cell phones in certain areas, including the clubhouse, the dining rooms, and the golf course. Members and guests are expected to use their cell phones in a manner that is respectful to others and does not disrupt the club’s atmosphere.
Overall, Beverly Country Club’s dress code and guest policy are designed to ensure a certain level of decorum and respect for the club and its members. Members and guests are expected to comply with these policies to maintain the club’s image as a premier private country club.