Glen Oaks Country Club is a private golf and country club located in West Des Moines, Iowa, United States. It was founded in 1994 and features an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus. In addition to golf, the club offers a variety of amenities including tennis courts, a fitness center, a swimming pool, and multiple dining options. The club has hosted several professional golf tournaments, including the 2017 Solheim Cup and the 2018 PGA Tour Champions event. Membership at Glen Oaks Country Club is by invitation only.
Glen Oaks Country Club History and Founding
Glen Oaks Country Club was founded in 1994 by a group of local businessmen in West Des Moines, Iowa. The club was built on land that was formerly a farm and was designed by golf course architect Jack Nicklaus.
Construction of the golf course and clubhouse began in 1991 and was completed in 1994. The course was designed to be a championship-level course that could host major tournaments, and it has since hosted several professional golf events.
Over the years, the club has continued to expand and improve its facilities. In 2003, a new fitness center was added, and in 2005, a new pool complex was built. In 2014, the club underwent a major renovation to update its dining and social spaces.
Today, Glen Oaks Country Club is considered one of the premier golf and country clubs in the Midwest, and it continues to attract members from across the region.
Famous Golf Tournament held at Glen Oaks Country Club
Glen Oaks Country Club has hosted several professional golf tournaments, but the most famous one is probably the 2017 Solheim Cup.
The Solheim Cup is a biennial team competition between the top women golfers from the United States and Europe. The 2017 event marked the first time the tournament was held in Iowa, and Glen Oaks Country Club was selected as the host venue.
The tournament was held from August 18-20, 2017, and was a huge success. The United States team won the competition by a score of 16.5 to 11.5, and the event was praised for its organization, course conditions, and enthusiastic crowds.
In addition to the Solheim Cup, Glen Oaks Country Club has also hosted the Principal Charity Classic, which is a PGA Tour Champions event, in 2018. The tournament featured many of the top golfers over the age of 50, and was won by American golfer Tom Lehman.
Glen Oaks Country Club Membership Costs and Dues
As a private club, Glen Oaks Country Club does not disclose its membership costs and dues publicly. However, based on information from other similar clubs in the area, it is estimated that the initiation fee to join the club could range from $50,000 to $100,000, with rumored monthly dues in the range of $500 to $1,500.
It’s important to note that these are only estimates and the actual cost to join and maintain membership at Glen Oaks Country Club may vary depending on a variety of factors, such as membership type, age, and location.
Glen Oaks Country Club Amenities
Glen Oaks Country Club offers a wide range of amenities for its members, including:
- Golf Course: The centerpiece of the club is its 18-hole championship golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus. The course features scenic views and challenging holes for players of all skill levels.
- Tennis Courts: The club has eight outdoor tennis courts and two indoor courts, which are available year-round for members to use.
- Fitness Center: The state-of-the-art fitness center offers a range of cardio and strength training equipment, as well as personal training and fitness classes.
- Swimming Pool: The club has a large outdoor pool complex with a water slide, splash pad, and diving boards. There is also a separate kiddie pool and a heated indoor pool for year-round use.
- Dining Options: Glen Oaks Country Club has multiple dining options for members, including a formal dining room, a casual grill room, a bar, and a snack bar.
- Event Spaces: The country club has multiple event spaces available for members to host weddings, business meetings, and other special events.
- Youth Programs: The club offers a variety of youth programs, including junior golf and tennis clinics, swim lessons, and summer camps.
Overall, Glen Oaks Country Club offers a comprehensive set of amenities designed to provide its members with a wide range of recreational and social opportunities.
Glen Oaks Country Club Event Information and Dining Options
Glen Oaks Country Club offers a variety of event spaces for members to host weddings, business meetings, and other special events. The club has multiple indoor and outdoor spaces, including a grand ballroom, private dining rooms, and outdoor patios with scenic views of the golf course.
The club’s experienced event staff can assist with planning and executing events of all sizes, from intimate gatherings to large-scale weddings and corporate events. In addition to event planning services, the club also offers catering and bar services, with a range of menus and customizable options available.
As for dining options, Glen Oaks Country Club has multiple options for members to choose from. The club’s formal dining room offers fine dining with a classic American menu, while the casual grill room features a more relaxed atmosphere and a menu of burgers, sandwiches, and salads. The bar offers a wide selection of cocktails, wines, and craft beers, and the snack bar offers quick bites and refreshments on the go.
Overall, Glen Oaks Country Club offers a variety of dining options to suit different tastes and occasions, whether it’s a romantic dinner for two or a casual meal with friends and family.
Glen Oaks Country Club Dress Code and Guest Policy
As a private country club, Glen Oaks has a dress code policy that all members and guests are expected to adhere to. The dress code varies depending on the area of the club you are visiting, and the time of day. Here are the general guidelines:
- Golf Course: Proper golf attire is required on the course at all times, including collared shirts and golf shoes. Shorts must be Bermuda length or longer. Denim, t-shirts, and athletic wear are not permitted.
- Dining Rooms: The dress code for the dining rooms is business casual, with collared shirts and dress slacks or khakis for men, and dresses, skirts, or dress pants for women. Shorts, denim, and athletic wear are not permitted.
- Pool Area: Appropriate swimwear is required at the pool, and cover-ups are required when entering and leaving the pool area. T-shirts, cutoffs, and denim are not permitted.
In terms of guest policy, members are allowed to bring guests to the club, but they must be accompanied by the member at all times. The number of guests allowed per member may be limited, depending on the day and time of the visit. Guests are also expected to adhere to the club’s dress code policy.